17's on N16 phase 2 ( i think) 2003 1.5 almera

Nice wheels buddy, I considered them for my car...

45 profile keeps the same rolling radius and will me slightly comfier, and fill the arches slightly better.

However, they will be slightly more expensive.

My advice would be to get the 7x17's or at most 7.5x17's as I think 8's could proove a slight problem on the front with rubbing on the arch liner (result...take them off and underseal the body)

when it says 7x 17 / 7.5/17 does that just mean its width of the alloy as in if you looked at the alloy from a side view thats how wide it would be? (not like a front view which you would see the alloy face)
cheers,Craig.
also would these show the rear drums too much and if they do is there anything that can be done about it without spending a fortune?

go for 40's instead of 45s and have ur own go-cart, who wants comfort anyway!! haha, nah stevens right, the 45s will give u a smoother ride, just depends what ur after i guess! :)

naa im pretty sure that my backs are drums but the fronts are disks, its a 2003 model so maybe they didnt incorporate disks onto the rear's until a later year model.

I've got a poverty spec (E) 2000 model and I have disks...

The jump from 65 to 45 will be tough enough, and you'll want your speedo reading right! :)

sorry im wrong they are disks both front and back, i was told that they were drums on back and i never looked before hand so just believed that they were, just had a look now and they are both disks which saves a hell of a lot of hassle :D!!
so do u suggest i get the momo corse black's 7/17 with 205/45/R17 tyres on? and how much are the tyres going to set me back, my dad knows the owner of a place called denton tyres so will get good discount from there from whatever the tyres retail from, last tyres that got put on the mera were from 45 per wheel to 35 per wheel and they were toyo proxes cf1's.

Ive got 17s on mine running with 215/45. Ride is good, no issues with potholes! Dropping from your current will cause issues with your speedo. Heres some calculations to help :)

Stock 185/65/15

Sidewall: 4.7 Inches
Radius: 12.2 Inches
Diameter 24.5 Inches
Circumference: 76.9 Inches
Revs/mile: 824

Proposed 205/45/17

Sidewall: 3.6 Inches
Radius: 12.1 Inches
Diameter 24.3 Inches
Circumference: 76.2 Inches
Revs/mile: 831

Difference in speedo reading of 0.8% too fast (60Mph reads as 59.5mph)

Proposed 205/40/17

Sidewall: 3.2 Inches
Radius: 11.7 Inches
Diameter 23.5 Inches
Circumference: 73.7 Inches
Revs/mile: 860

Difference in speedo reading of 4.1% too fast (60Mph reads as 57.5mph)

Hope that helps!

cheers people for the help, one other thing...just took the car out for a quick test and i gear changed from 4th to 5th at roughly 48mhp to see what power it had on a slight steep gradient (nothing at all hardly) and it hit 61mph and didnt seem to want to go much faster and by the time it started creeping up with speed i didnt have any straight road left so had to slow down, but just tested it on this other road and i gear changed from 4th to 5th at about 65mph and it started to shift a lot more, any reason for this, i know 1.5 mera's standard arnt renouned for their speed/power but surely it shouldnt be going this slow?

Craig the reason why you got no response is the amount of revs when you changed gear, at low revs you won't accellerate up a steep hill, so when you changed up the revs dropped even further and you got no response. At 48mph you should have changed down to third and you would have been fine. I don't know what gearing ratios are in the 1.5 but my 1.8 went straight up past 70mph in third before I approached the limiter...

yeah it was just a test as it normally does pick up quite fast and when i said a gradient i meant hardly noticable, if i need a bit of acceleration i would take each gear to roughly 4000rpm before i change.
cheers anyways!

Just remember, all speedos over compensate by law. Between 3% - 10%.

Yours is off by a little over 12%. Thats mental!

Moving from 185/65/15 to 205/45/17 should be fine, by my calculations that's only 0.8% smaller than the original wheels so when your speedo reads 70mph you will be doing 69.5mph (assuming your speedo is spot-on to start with).

Watch the offset*, though. Too small and it'll stick out of the arches, too high and it'll catch the suspension. I'd go for 40-42mm depending on the wheel.

I had 205/40/17s on my 1.5 and now my 1.8 - bloody rough ride at the best of times, big potholes scare the crap out of you and the wheels don't fill those big arches that well - so go for 205/45/17s.

About 50-quid a tyre for OK tyres - maybe half that for crappy budget tyres, twice that or more for really good ones.
Try and get tyres with a rim protector - no matter how hard you try you'll likely scuff a kerb at some point and those first scratches on pristine alloys really hurt the soul.

Another thing to remember is that bigger wheels often mean more unsprung weight (even when going from steelies to alloys) which adversely affects handling and acceleration. May not be that noticable but it's worth considering the weight of the new wheels as some are much lighter or heavier than others.

The N16 Almera is heavy for it's size so hills are it's enemy and the 1.5 is not that powerful to start with. Mine was fine up to 70 then started to flag.

Try and get locking nuts that weigh about the same as the standard nuts - no point getting your wheel/tyre nicely balanced then throwing it off with a heavy lump of metal in one quarter of the wheel.

That's all I can think of right now.

* everything you wanted to know about wheels and tyres but were afraid to ask

cheers everyone especially wraith good pointers there for me!
i think i am going to get a quote for tyres from two dealers in my area and see whats best, order alloys off tinternet and then take them to a garage to be fitted and properly tracked,realigned etc if needed.
http://www.momo-uk.co.uk/gallery/road wheels/momo corse/momo corse black.htm these are the alloys that i want but ive just noticed that they're fitted with 5 bolts and my mera has only 4, so this means that they wont fit on my car?

Back
Top Bottom