3rd & 5th gear rattling noise, anyone?

Hey all,

My N16 has recently developed a rattling sound from the gear stick area, when accelerating in 3rd and 5th gears.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Funny how its only those two gears, maybe somthing is loose at the 'upper end'?

:mad:And the timing of it is a bit** as my 3 year warranty only ran out earlier this year!!!:mad:

Any suggestion welcome !

RedHP

Probably something caught between the chassis and the linkage at the gearbox end or the heatshield above the cat maybe pressed up a bit in the center and lefthand side under the gear stick

Had this problem on my old Micra,

The problem was due to the linkage on the gerabox from the selecter rod,

The pin that connects the small stub on the gearbox to the select rod had become dry, so i removed the bolt put some grease around the linkage.

I also put a small amount of oil on the plastic bush under te gear stick gaiter, this also helps.

My N16 Almera i have now rattles sometimes, but only when accelerating hard.

Hope this Helps,

Matt

Thanks all. :thumb:
Matt - Yes, it rattles whilst hard acceleration, but also whilst driving like a grandad !!

I'm not technially minded when it comes to cars, but I'll give it a go !!

long shot but it could be whats wrong on mine, theres a universal joint betwwen the selector rod and the gear box, its loose on mine n only rattles in certain gears, might be yours.

if it is could u let me know how much they cost

the problem is the 2 rods that join the gear stick to the gearbox they touch each other u need to take down the heat shield and bend the two rods so they dont touch ive had this problem before at work its not a big job but u need some force to bend them

either the linkage rods, or, there is a heat shield diretly underneath the gear linkage at the gear lever, and if it has come loose and is flapping about it could be that!?

or if its the same as the k11 and n15 there is a spring that keeps the lever stiff this breaks and hangs down hence maybe touching the shield

Mine does not rattle so much as vibrate in time with the engine (all gears), assumed that was pretty normal, only really notice it since I stuck on a metal gearknob.

As previously mentioned - Heatshields!

Might want to also check you've got a decent exhaust gasket on your exhaust at bottom of the downpipe that the cat's in as that vibrates like feck on mine when it's cold.

Back
Top Bottom