6x9 problem

D

dj craig

bit confused here i just sold my head unit so i put my old one back in till i get my new one,my old sony dont have the output for the sub hence how i noticed a lack base.when both 6x9s is on there is hardly any base but when i move the balance left to right both speakers kick in when the other one is off, whats doing this :confused: do i need a more sturdy shelf or something, any suggestions people :)

sounds like the 6x9s could possibly be "out of phase"

this is when one speaker is moving out and the other is moving in so they are cancelling each other out.

what you need to do is to make sure that the +ve from the H/U is going to the +ve of the speaker for both of them. make sure that both the speakers are pushing out. thats them wired up correctly then.

if you wanna do this without trying to run around ur car like a nutter working out which wire is what u need to get a mate to help you.

undo the speaker cables from the back of the H/U and only lightly tap at 9v pp3 battery between them. make sure u know which one is +ve and which one is -ve. get ur mate to tell you whether the speaker is moving out or in. if its moving out then the speaker wires are as the top of the pp3. +ve terminal on the battery is the +ve wire for the speaker and same for the neg then.

try this out mate.

or you could just swap the wires on the back of the 6x9's. much easier and wont damage anything, i have my passenger speaker running out of phase to give better imaging and central sound
also, it could be if you're running the 6x9's directly off the headunit, it may not ave enough power to run both efficenlty, thus sounding better on one speaker

swapped the wires round and its banging again :D so simple but it stumped me :rolleyes:

ultimate 6x9s

I've attached a photo of my parcel shelf.

I notice that you mentioned about perhaps needing a more sturday parcel shelf in your car. This will improve bass even more greatly.

It's very difficult to get a flat parcel shelf to fit the almera correctly and so i finished off making mine with a box underneath the shelf, separated into a pair of chambers, one for each speaker.

The 6x9s now sound as good as my £500 speakers in my house, running through an alright amplifier.

if you want some copies of my drawings then i could email them in due course. I haven't seen a shelf quite like this, there's a few unique points to it.

Hope you enjoy my work, The finishing touches to the boot will follow.

Might I add that this modification erradicated the need for my 12" sub.

Also, the slope at the front of the box is at the same angle as the back seats and helps the thing hold in tightly.

Ed

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom