ALMERA WON'T START! HELP!

Hello there! First off, I would just like to introduce myself as the proud owner of a Nissan Almera, SVE 1.8 auto 2004, of 7 years now. The car has given me 120,000 faultless miles, and apart from a timing chain replacement at 90,000, around 2 years ago, I have not had any significant issues, until now...

Please bear with me on this as it is quiet a long and unwieldy mess Around three weeks ago, my AC lost gas completely. I wrongly assumed that it just needed a re-charge, so I called in a charlatan mobile company who did nothing to disabuse me of the notion. They recharged it from empty and five days later, it leaked out again, completely. They charged me 40 for the privilege of diagnosing the 'leak', and told me it was my compressor. And this is where my problems begin. I was visiting my in laws up North and thought I could have the part replaced cheaply up there. They did and I had the compressor regassed, only for the ac to leak out again! What I noticed after the compressor had been replaced was my engine 'jumping' revs three or four times on starting and then running smoothly. It had never done this before.

The jumping persisted. I bit the bullet and took the ac to an expert who said it was my condenser and that I had unnecessarily replaced my compressor. He sorted it out. However, last Sunday, the engine management light came on after the 'jumping'. The code came up as p0340, CAM Shaft sensor, so the mechanic changed the sensor and checked the wiring around there. It actually became worse and on Thursday it has broken down, it just won't start. It sounds like there isn't any fuel reaching the engine but I am no expert! The car won't start now, it cranks, sometimes splutters before cutting out. The light has returned but is providing the same code.

I am convinced that this is related to the compressor being replaced as the jumping started immediately after that. Could it be a fuel pump or throttle body? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cam & crank sensors are more common on the phase 2s.

I doubt itll be caused by the compressor as it simply runs off an aux belt. Unless of course they were complete muppets and damaged a wiring loom or something whilst doing it?

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought it was the chain as well, but I only had it replaced barely two years and 30,000 miles ago. The first one lasted 90, it was a Renault part though I gather!

Car has started but with the same problem of jumping revs, so I am back to square one. The mechanic who managed to get it going reckons it is an idling problem. The car starts and idles high until it settles. He thinks it is the fuel throttle body, which those idiots might have damaged or pilfered. Damaging the wiring sounds a distinct possibility too! The car drives very smoothly once it is started.

The mechanic has recommended I take it to Nissan as they have the equipment to test everything when they investigate. But will they just not come up with same computer code that he did? I am really worried as to how to proceed from here.

Quick update. Nissan have said it sounds like the Idle Control Valve. They are saying the whole throttle body needs to be replaced as the valve is INSIDE it? A couple of mechanics I have spoken to said that is bull, it is close to the body but attaches somewhere else as it has two pins. It is definitely a part you can purchase separately.

Hi
I driving 2006 almera. at times when i start it only crank but doesn't start. It will only start when i use a different key. This problem happens with both keys.

Back
Top Bottom