Another newbie greeting...

Hey all!

Just wanted to say hi and that I'm the latest owner of a 1997 1.6 SRi in red. It's done 160k miles and it has the general niggles that have been noted on here, like fan blower matrix needs re-soldering, rust bubbles on rear arches, leaky ATF power steering fluid etc and I'm slowly working my way thru them.

I've done some slight repairs/restorations already. I'd bought the car from a trade centre and the previous owner was an ICE nut and had removed all traces of his system (including the stock stuff) except the wiring. I'm not so much of an ICE nut and have just fitted a fairly generic Pioneer HU and Pioneer 17cm's all round. I've also gone to the scrapper's and picked up a parcel shelf in a close but not right colour and also a boot carpet!

I think I've also got a bit of a brake problem on the front. When I'm not braking I gets a hissing grinding sound which is determinate on camber and levelness of the ground. Steering makes no difference to it but when I touch the brakes, the sound goes away. When I ease off the brake it comes back. I think the disks are shot but I'm going to nurse them on for a couple weeks or so; the brakes might not be working as they should but compared to my last car (1989 Trabant) they're like cargo ship anchors!

Aside from all that and a instrument panel bulb blown I think she's in quite good nick for £500. I won't be modding or preparing to concourse specs, she's just a runabout to save the tread on my trainers! I'm sure I'll be asking some of you some very simplistic questions soon so I apologise for that. I know I'm having to get the bubbling seen to PDQ because I feel it'll be good to get that sorted before winter sets in. Me living by the sea won't help it at all....

Anyway, that's me and me car! Cheers for now,

Mickie

Yeah, I said I wasn't gonna bother modding mine, but there are too many bad influences on this forum, it just wears you down. Now I've added a sports interior, tints, just bought lowering springs, and am desperately hoping my exhaust collapses so I can buy a better one guilt-free...
So welcome, stick around if you dare, and get some pics up in the meantime...

welcome to the club mate

get some pictures up, and some pictures of the trabby as well, secretly i have a soft spot for them :lol:

Back
Top Bottom