any idea what my problem is?

oooo, that spinny tappy noise could be the bigends bearings. It almost sounds like a blockage somewhere. As said, if the rngs had gone, the car would be pluming out clouds of blue smoke. Over fueling would be black smoke and head gasket would be white smoke. If you get white smoke on startup that clears when warm, that is just condensation in the exhaust.
I would drop the oil and inpsect it for metal shavings, which would indicate big end failure.

With the black deposits though, it would seems to indicate a stuck valve. What is the fuel economy like? If the air temp sensor is buggered, that would cause the engine to overfuel and give black smoke. Had the same thing in an mr2.

it doesnt really smoke black it just seems to end up with specs on the car

the tappy noise has now stopped since putting more oil in

and the fuel economy isnt as good as it should be especially with how gentle i have been driving it

i took it out last night when topped up with oil and i really cant see it being the engine thats gone wrong it still spits carbon but ran much better

also i think when you go round a corner it seems to start the power loss and hesitation problems

300 miles since november? cold weather a plenty, id say that stuff coming out of your exhaust is water, from condensation build up, because you cant of done many big journeys. is the oil your using fully synthehic or semi? and how quick is it being used?

its semi-synthetic oil in there last time i topped it up i didnt have much oil but got it just over minimum and came to check it 2 days later after using the car and it hadnt used any

i bought some more oil and topped it just below the maximum level but driving it last night for the 1st time in a week with full supply of oil i got a tappety noise from the engine again. when it made the noise the car was hesitant.

i also rang the best mechanic i know and he suggested to put some wynns stop smoke in my oil before he takes the car to check everything through

right got the new mass meter on the car which has sorted the lumpy running out and the fuel consumption seems better

now my problem is that every now and again mainly after going round a corner it starts to smoke a fair bit but then it will clear and might not happen again for half hour sometimes longer

the spinny tapping noise has now cleared altogether

ive covered 15 miles since the new mass meter was put on and following some advice ive had i have been driving the car gently to let it learn the new meter, could the new meter be causing it to smoke a bit as it wasnt there before the new meter?

also the carbon deposits are still ever so slightly coming through but no where near as badly

thanks adam

Back
Top Bottom