Automatic Almera 1.8L SVE problem and error code P0335

Hello guys. Bought the car about 2 months ago, drove very well until recently after a 120 miles trip in a very warm weather (30+) in the UK. Close to home I felt the car does not pick up speed properly. I thought it was just me not feeling car speed after a long motorway trip!

When I reached home I turned off the car and left it for about 5 min. I came back to move the car but it won't start properly. It took multiple tries and long ones to start. Then the engine light stayed on. My friend checked the code on the second day, I got P0335 (crankshaft position sensor) but the car started and drove fine which made me confused! So I erased the code to see it comes back again.

3 days later after normal city drives, engine light did not come back until I took my brother about 60 miles on the motorway to his house (a very warm day too). When I reached there I turned off the car and went inside his house. 10 min later tried to start the car did exactly the same thing but now the engine revs at idle were weird going up and down from 1000 revs. I tried driving it and it was not smooth at all. I parked at the side of the road for 3 min letting the engine on and it stabilized by itself and I was able to drive home smoothly. Engine light is still on.

Sorry, I took too long explaining but I wanted to give a clear picture. What do you guys think could be the problem?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the car does vibrate hrad while the revs are not stable.

Last edited:
I have fixed the car by taking it to a mechanic. After some checks, we found out that indeed the crankshaft position sensor was faulty and needed change. It was causing the car not to start properly. After clearing the car computer errors, and starting it, the engine light was gone but the weird up and down revs of it were not. Checking with the mechanic computer test tool it was showing that one of the ignition coils were misfiring and faulty. Changing that brought the car back working smooth.

Back
Top Bottom