Back from Plymouth with my GTi

Well, i picked up my PH2 Almera GTi from plymouth on Saturday and drove the long way back to Manchester (7 hrs it took!)

The car is stunning, great condition bar from 2 tiny marks that arnt really noticable

I have noticed that the almera GTis are quite flat until the engine gets to about 3.5thousand revs and then the engine really comes alive, I have a de cat part of the exhaust to replace with the catalyct converter that he had to put on for the MOT, does it make much of a difference performance wise? Is it legal?

And another thing, my car makes a sqeeling noise on start up, o going over little bumps or when you press the clutch in when its in gear, it didnt do it any of the way home or when I got it but it is now the day after, I am taking it the garage just to get checked, im guessing its the fan belt or the thrust bearings or the suspension but it is driving me mad

Anyway, hes a few pics of my baby, shes awesome, cant wait to get the de cat fit and sort the sqeezy noise out

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

car5.jpg

car6.jpg

Your decat will make some difference but not that much unless you have a new stainless manifold and full exhaust system

how do I find out in I have a stainless manifold, Im sure I have a full stainless exhaust system with a rather big backbox!

The reason i ask if it is legal or not is because ill take it to my garage tomorow I will get them to bang it on for me, if its illegal Ill do it myself

IF im being honest the almera is quick but not as quick as I thought it would be, its wbeen well kept, only done 80,000 miles, has a full stainless exhaust system, air filter, ill get a pic of my engine bay tomorrow and see what you can suggest

a garage will fit it for you, recommended, as the cat can be a bitch to get off... and you may (will) end up needing a new hanger

what do you make of the sqeeking noise mate

Any idea on how to increase the power below 3.5 thousand revs, i know its standard on Almera GTis, but is there a way round it

i have 2.5" on my GTi and that hasnt lost power, its proven that VE's even like 3" systems

get a fidanza flywheel if you want it to pick up the revs better along with your exhaust/header and a decent intake

The local powerflow dealers tried to tell me to put 2.5" on my skyline, I told them no chance. I dunno where you heard that but I wouldnt put less than 3" on a normal turbod car (Im not including glanza or other small engined turbos)

Very nice motor! It's a minter, my old Gti saw 164 with just a decat and a hotshot header. The standard backbox isn't that restrictive.

exhaust manifold
the squeeling is probably a loose alternator belt
and could also be the clutch pedal when u press that, if its on gear changes

Hello there :wave:

How was the drive back? Did you enjoy Plymouth!?

how do I find out in I have a stainless manifold, Im sure I have a full stainless exhaust system with a rather big backbox!
/QUOTE]

Generally when manufacures describe full systems it is from the cat back. You have the stock exhaust manifold, stainless downpipe and stainless cat back. If you want extra hp you can change it for an aftermarket stainless one. Not to sure of makes available:thumb:.

Any idea on how to increase the power below 3.5 thousand revs, i know its standard on Almera GTis,
but is there a way round it

As stated, you can get a ligtened flighwheel. This will not increase power but there is less drag on the engine, so its a little bit more responsive.

If you want to go fast in it don't let it drop bellow 4K, most of the power is developed high in the rev range.

Cheers rob, it will be once I sort the squeeling noise out, its something of nothing probs

whats a header?? exhaust?

exhaust manifold/header (same thing).

Can you describe the sqeeling noise more?

alrite rob, didnt notice it on the drive back but when I turn te key there is a sqeeling noise as the engine turns over, you can hear the same noise when the car is in gear and you press the clutch in. Not sure if its the same noise or similar but you ca hear it when you go over small bumps,

There is also a rattle which sounds like its comin from the front, when you sit in the drivers seat it sounds like something is rattling... so8unds like part of the body kit or something

Drive back was a nightmare, the car was superb, but the M% was shut for 3 junctions so got diverted miles round glocester, what shud have been a 4 hour journey took 7 hours because of motorway hold ups!!!

alrite rob, didnt notice it on the drive back but when I turn te key there is a sqeeling noise as the engine turns over, you can hear the same noise when the car is in gear and you press the clutch in. Not sure if its the same noise or similar but you ca hear it when you go over small bumps,

There is also a rattle which sounds like its comin from the front, when you sit in the drivers seat it sounds like something is rattling... so8unds like part of the body kit or something

Feel bad about it but its new to me. TBH I'm not sure what it is

Is it only when you start the car?

Back
Top Bottom