Bass Tube\Box?

Wondering if someone can help me.

I've currently got a HUGE box in the boot which supply's me with as much bass as my car can handle but if i'm honest i don't really need that much.

I like to have bass but when i can only get two bags of shopping in the boot and the Mrs starts giving me shit over it i think it's time to maybe downsize.

I've been looking at a varying bass tubes 10"/12" from various different manufactures but don't really know what i'm looking at.

I'm looking for something small but something that will still pump out a decent amount of bass.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Smaz.

A bass tube will give you a decent amount of bass, in most cases it will be like back fill rather than the car shaking variety. For makes i would avoid FLi, Fusion and any other dodgy chinese inspired bling bling make. Stick towards the likes of Alpine, Kenwood, , Focal, Clarion, JBL and Pioneer.

In terms of sound reproduction the brands do the following:
FLi, Fusion and other carp: Normally very loud with little control and definition to the bass.
Alpine: Normally very controlled however not the loudest, may find it doesn't drop the most.
Kenwood: Gives a good balance between loudness, range and control
Pioneer: Normally the loudest of the big 3 brands, however you pay for this with a loss in definition.
JBL: The dark horse brand, again like the Kenwood gives a good balance of loudness, range and control.
Focal: Some of their stuff is a bit too clinical
Clarion: Again a good all-rounder.

I would say go and listen to get the best idea however my personal favourites would have to be:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8728.html
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1538.html
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-tswx77a-p-6820.html?cadid=0i1i44hvg0prgkakb3avacm231
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kscsw10-p-6314.html?cadid=0i1i44hvg0prgkakb3avacm231
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3831.html

Have you considered running a 10" sub in a small sealed enclosure, I have subs that will run in as little as 0.6 of a cubic foot, and by mounting the amp on the side of the box or between the wheel arch and boot light you will lose very minimal space. The benefit of this is that you choose the exact sub/amp combination and can normally get a better sounding sub for the money.

Yer you can't go wrong with the brands their like. JBL always are decent but with all subs you want a decent amp to go with it.

mike , your a tard. Fli is made by vibe, and fusion isnt that bad just stay away from second hand stuff or cheap stuff !

personally i really like my Fli setup its perfect for me, as long as its setup properly it sounds decent! I have a 400w amp running a 12"1000w sub and there is still room to put shopping etc. Had it for three years now and have not had any faults with Fli

have a look on caraudiocenter and caraudiosecurity.com/uk?

mike , your a tard. Fli is made by vibe, and fusion isnt that bad just stay away from second hand stuff or cheap stuff !

personally i really like my Fli setup its perfect for me, as long as its setup properly it sounds decent! I have a 400w amp running a 12"1000w sub and there is still room to put shopping etc. Had it for three years now and have not had any faults with Fli

have a look on caraudiocenter and caraudiosecurity.com/uk?

Don't call me a tard.

Your more than welcome to disagree with me but unfortunately in this instance your wrong. It's just a shame i didn't put Vibe down on the list of one's to avoid, although the Vibe amp's are ok i wouldn't touch a Vibe sub with a 6 foot barge pole.

Don't call me a tard.

Your more than welcome to disagree with me but unfortunately in this instance your wrong. It's just a shame i didn't put Vibe down on the list of one's to avoid, although the Vibe amp's are ok i would touch a Vibe sub with a 6 foot barge pole.

:rolleyes:

My friend has Vibe stuff, and although it sounds quite good, he has spent a fortune on it. And it's nothing special. Plus his sub takes the entire boot. Before his Vibe stuff he had FLi and the active twin 12" was absolutely shocking. Pumped out less bass than my cheap alpine 6x9s.

Also a FLi 400W amp isn't really a 400W amp. It's a 200WRMS amp and the sub is 300WRMS.

I've got a 12" JBL sub in a huuuge enclosure, which takes up far too much boot space too. So using fibreglass and expanding foam I am planning on making an enclosure to fit behind the right wheel arch in the boot. If it works well I'll post here if you like.

Whatever you eventually decide on, beware of knock-offs on auction sites.

Have a shuftie on the Talkaudio forums for some good advice.

smaller sub for dance music bigger sub for basser/r n b type

got a vibe 10" in me van with amp all as one no complaints

I'll check out those links and see what i can afford, this, like most things, is a case of how much ddo i want to spend?!

Cheers for the help lads!

smaller sub for dance music bigger sub for basser/r n b type

got a vibe 10" in me van with amp all as one no complaints

This.

Basically smaller subs giver harder, punchier bass, bigger ones give a loose, more sustained sound.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that i have always found seperate sub + amp combos to sound better, pound for pound, than a bass tube combined thing.

My old 10" JBL sub + JBL GTO amp is alot nicer to listen to than my mates Fli Trap and cost less.

And to expand on Mike's point, my sub enclosure sits underneath the strut brace against the rear seats in the middle of my boot, with my amp infront of it and i can get a fair amount of shopping in my boot still.

And to add my 2 cents on the whole cheap brand thing, my Fli amp i'm currently using is possibly the worst designed amp i've used, waayy too big for something 400W and overheats like a volcano.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that i have always found seperate sub + amp combos to sound better, pound for pound, than a bass tube combined thing.

True, you can match the amp to the sub better this way. With the 'active' subs, they usually have an amp which is underpowered for the rating of the sub. This is what I've found anyway.

Nah doesn't work out that well, i tried that with a Pioneer free-air sub (pics can be found if you search on here), but you need a thin as fook amp and it doesn't sound too brilliant. Plus the spare wheel well is off centre to the left so it looks a bit odd.

This.

Basically smaller subs giver harder, punchier bass, bigger ones give a loose, more sustained sound.

My old 10" JBL sub + JBL GTO amp is alot nicer to listen to than my mates Fli Trap and cost less.

And to expand on Mike's point, my sub enclosure sits underneath the strut brace against the rear seats in the middle of my boot, with my amp infront of it and i can get a fair amount of shopping in my boot still.

And to add my 2 cents on the whole cheap brand thing, my Fli amp i'm currently using is possibly the worst designed amp i've used, waayy too big for something 400W and overheats like a volcano.

paid £50 second hand for mine, bargin

My friend has Vibe stuff, and although it sounds quite good, he has spent a fortune on it. And it's nothing special. Plus his sub takes the entire boot. Before his Vibe stuff he had FLi and the active twin 12" was absolutely shocking. Pumped out less bass than my cheap alpine 6x9s.

Also a FLi 400W amp isn't really a 400W amp. It's a 200WRMS amp and the sub is 300WRMS.

I've got a 12" JBL sub in a huuuge enclosure, which takes up far too much boot space too. So using fibreglass and expanding foam I am planning on making an enclosure to fit behind the right wheel arch in the boot. If it works well I'll post here if you like.

i know about the power wrms ! 400w is the max power output etc.

i'm not deniying fli isnt that good and i have to admit its a big amp for the power, but tbh i wouldnt get an activ or twin package any way they arnt the best in the world.

as i said i got that package with sub,wiring and amp for £130 brand new 3yrs ago and i personally think its good value for money, if you KNOW how to set sound systems up half decently!

i like vibe systems theyre defently good quality and durable but can be too bassey!

if there to bassy turn the gains down on the amp and/or on the headunit

i had a 12" vibe cbr, was stupidly bassy and would easily shake the car even on 1/4 gain. tbh i couldnt really fault it in the short time i used it, did what i wanted and had the potential to do a hell of a lot more. if your not an audio fanatic then it would do you fine, no idea what a fanatic would think but then if your not one its not really relevant anyway. . . once i had the bass turned down on the stereo and let my mate try and set it up properly it was brillaint.

didnt last long though, i got fed up with having loads of bass and sold it on, 4 speakers does me fine now.

Back
Top Bottom