Bought a banger

Hi there,

Had an Almera 1.8 Sport for about 6 months now and to be honest, had a few problems with her.

In the 6 months I have had to replace the lamda sensor, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, alloys and a few other smaller stuff like inside panels and boot tray etc. and she's still not perfect.

When I press the accelerator, there is a slight delay before the engine responds (delay has been shortened since oil change and air filter being replaced) and the engine sometimes stutters when driving along.

Finally, the starter motor doesnt always kick in when trying to start her........but despite these problems, i'm hoping to have her running smoothly very soon as she is a beautiful car and as a previous Nissan owner, I know they run forever.

When she is running though, she is smooth as a babies bottom, quiet as a scouser entering a house at night ;) (I'm a scouser so can get away with saying that lol) but the positives dont happen very often :(

I look forward to speaking to everyone in here, sorry for the whinge but its out my system now lol

Welcome to the club mate. Hope you get the problems sorted out, our 1.8 sports are good cars.

Kristian; AFM = MAF sensor?

Welcome. Doesn't sound like the timing chain to me. I did think that was a bigger problem on the 1.5's? I could be wrong, which means someone will set me straight....
I must admit I had my starter motor replaced, as it just tended to make a grunt instead of starting the engine, since then, starts first time every time.
I do sometimes have the problems you have, although always at lower revs, never when driving 'energetically'. For me this started after chucking a K&N panel filter inside, so I thought it was probably me who 'broke' it.

Welcome. Doesn't sound like the timing chain to me. I did think that was a bigger problem on the 1.5's? I could be wrong, which means someone will set me straight....

I have asked a few people and they all said they didnt think it was this.

I must admit I had my starter motor replaced, as it just tended to make a grunt instead of starting the engine, since then, starts first time every time.

I sometimes do have this problem but couldnt describe it as good as you lol

I do sometimes have the problems you have, although always at lower revs, never when driving 'energetically'. For me this started after chucking a K&N panel filter inside, so I thought it was probably me who 'broke' it.

I have asked a few mechanics about this and the 2 most common replies are either:
replace the "crankshaft position sensor" (which I presume is the AFM which has been replaced) or could this be the "camshaft position sensor?"
or
a "faulty fuel return valve"

But dont want to be forking money out on both if its not necassary

Mm forking out when not necessary is a skill I haven't mastered as yet!

Your starter may not be as bad as mine, it's just that I do so much mileage I couldn't risk it leaving me stranded. I'm no expert, so apart from saying get the haynes manual (which will save you a fortune) and try changing the sensors yourself, I'd have to refer you to one of the N16 mafia, who I'm sure will be along shortly...

You got any pics?

No me neither, at 35 the only reason I where a cap is because my head is cold... sorry didn't want to turn this thread into the 'N16 sports' old codgers moaning about the good old days' thread.....now where's me slippers.....

Have you checked for a small leak from one of the vacuum hoses by the inlet manifold ? Either that, or one of the spark plugs could be gapped slightly different to the rest. Both are worth checking.

Have you checked for a small leak from one of the vacuum hoses by the inlet manifold ? Either that, or one of the spark plugs could be gapped slightly different to the rest. Both are worth checking.

My knowledge is computers, I know nothing about cars, from what I understood, you have just asked me to check the widget connected to the gadget that is hanging off the thingymabob in the front of my car!

Back
Top Bottom