central locking

With the car(almera Si, p1) i have just bought you have to activate the central locking from the passenger side door, if you unlock it from the driver side it only opens that one door, the woman i bought it off said she thought that was just what was supposed to happen but i'm not too sure, doesnt seem too logical.

Is this whats supposed to happen or is it something that needs fixed?

thanks
kieran

man are you crazy? the central locking should open from the drivers side! sorry can't help you fix this though there should be somethin on here if you do a search

lol, see thats what i thought :)

it'll be fine, if i ever have any passengers i'll just open the passenger side and climb through :p

it has got a remote fitted for the central locking too but apparently it runs down the battery.

kieran said:
it has got a remote fitted for the central locking too but apparently it runs down the battery.

i suspect the previous owner has disconnected the central locking and possibly the alarm because almera's have problems with the alarms going off randomly and the locks opening and closing randomly

this was probably what happened as a quick cheap fix till the car ws sold

again im sure you will find this in a search

If the central locking is not a nissan part and it runs down the battery then it has not been fitted properly, making it permanently live. Its possible the drivers door motor has burned out due to it being a cheap ebay kit. i had a good d.i.y. kit on my last toyota which never went wrong and used really strong motors. have it checked by an auto electrician or a motor factors.

I have exactly the same problem. It worked fine until about a week ago, but now can only unlock driver's door from that side (although all doors lock from driver's door). All doors unlock from the passenger side. It's a complete pain, especially when getting back to the car laden down with bags of shopping, which I have to put down, unlock driver's door, then put the keys in ignition and turn on in order to activate the central locking on all the other doors, including the hatch,from the button on the armrest (or have to walk around to passenger's side to unlock, and get wierd looks from passers by!) :eek:

Sounds like the anti-hijack system has been activated, press the fob twice to unlock all the doors.

The owners manual that came with the car should have a section explaining how to activate/de-activate it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.The c/locking is not remote, it's from the key. It's now moved on to only being able to lock the driver's door with the key, all other doors remain unlocked, so I have had to lock the doors using the switch on the armrest as I get out. Also, the driver'sdoor catch itself has started to 'stick' so that sometimes, without warning,it will not close so the car cannot be driven. That has happened about six times. Yesterday I was on my way home to South Wales from Cambridge with my 5 yr old grandson as passenger. We stopped at a services just outside Birmingham, went in for a break, but when we got back to the car, the driver's door wouldnt shut. I tried releasing it, as I had managed to do previously, but after getting soaking wet and filthy from the oil on the catch, had to phone the AA. While waiting for assistance, I tried the door again and it shut!! It's going into a garage tomorrow cos I cant trust it not to do it again, and I drive a lot in my job, so can't be doing with having to mess around. It's put me right off the car, and I'd only just started to get used to it!
Will let you know what the garage say.

Also, the lock on the passenger's side sometimes will work, and sometimes won't.

Looked in the manual. Can only see stuff about 'super -locking' . Is that what you mean by anti-hijacking?

Hey mate,

Sorry, I mis-understood, I thought you meant the N16, with remote central locking, which you can program to just unlock the drivers door. :O

I don`t know if it`s called "super-locking" on the N15 though, as I haven`t got the N15 owners manual here, (it`s in the GTi, 3 miles away) :O

If you try unlocking the drivers door twice (i.e: once, drivers door unlocks, 2nd time, all the other doors unlock), then it has Anti-Hijack activated, if that doesn`t work, it could be the wires in the door have got moisture in them & is confusing the control module (this is an age-old problem with the N15, just strip the door down & cover everything in WD/40 & it should fix it).

I hope this helps, but someone should know for sure.

I have been told elsewhere on this site that my car is an N16, but it doesnt have remote locking. It's 02 reg, but there's a whole issue (gone into at length elsewhere on the forum)about the model, says 1.4 gx on the log book, but can't be. However, it has had private plates in the past, so think that's caused a mix-up. The insurance company have it as a 2002 1.5 s.
I spoke to mechanic last week and described what's been happening and he says it's more than likely the actuator (?) in the driver's door. He says that this problem, combined with the door catch not engaging, is quite common with Almeras. Anyway, when I bought it last September, it had a 6 months RAC parts and labour waranty, which covers some central locking problems, so it's going in to be looked at on Wed, to see what the problem is and confirm if the warranty will cover it.
Have just had it back from being repaired after a social worker in a Mercedes Kompressor opened her door and it swung open and hit my car, leaving a nice dent! We were on a possible child protection visit at the time, so it was a bit embarassing phoning her the next day about the damage. Anyway, it's back as good as new now. The repairers even gave it a full valet!

I have had the car fixed today (through the RAC warranty I had on it when I bought it) and it was the actuator that was at fault. The garage had it in last week and replaced the central locking unit, but that didn't change anything, so they had it back today and replaced the actautor. I told them the first time that I had been told by two other mechanics that it was most probably the actuator,a common Almera problem, but I'm only a woman so what do I know? So they wasted two and a half hours of their time (didn't cost me anything) replacing the central locking unit, only to have to say it didn't work. I refrained from saying ' I told you so'. :p
Anyway, it's all working now- touch wood!

I would say actautor problems are nore common on N16 almeras than N15 ones. Also both sides can give problems and not just the drivers side!

I've posted about my problem on a seperate thread awhile backbut mabye someone else can help. My problem is when using my fob to open the door almost instantly the door will lock it's self again (does the same with the key) so i have to open the the door before locks again. The problem started after a garage took a dent out the passenger door which some nice young gentleman did with his knee. I don't fancy going to garage to get a bill just for having a look at it so could this be the actuator problem with my car? How much do garages normally charge for part/labour?

WD40 the mechanism, did the same on my SRi after i had the windows tinted.

Just the one thats been fiddled with,just means some moistures got in so if ya give it a good coating all over of WD40 it'll drive the moisture out of the mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom