Cost to replace rusted sill +associated repairs?

1999 GTi b/kit, passenger side sill.

I did get a quote from a garage, and I was going to quote the wording they used to describe the work better, because they properly inspected it, but I’ve lost the quote. The thread title sums it up the best I can. Associated repairs meaning spray work mostly, I guess. So what should be the cheapest price, because I was quoted about £495 (inc parts/materials). Is there anywhere in the Essex / East London area that can be recommended to do a good job, but a good deal cheaper?

I’m reassessing keeping this one on the road. If I can get the costs down it might be viable.

You might find a cheaper place that would do it i.e just patch it and slap a thick coat of black underseal on so would have a big black strip on the sill which would look shit

£495 for replacement sill & associated spray work doesn't sound horrendous & would probably look spot on

That's a pretty good price for the work. That's 8 hours labour easy per side. What's the damage like? If you're willing to travel I could have a look for you. I won't be able to spray the 1/4 panels but if you keep it below the side skirt it'll look fine.

Had the sections of sill nr my rear arches done for £55 per side that was all inclusive, painted + undersealed. An hour n bit drive up the a1 to p'boro. Can get you a number if u want. Top job, old fella who's winding down to three days a week, plus once hes had a look at yr car the price he quotes is what he charges, no add ons for extra work. Downside you have to leave yr motor for a day or two, hes a bit slow.

Have you thought of cloning the area with polyester resin, chop it off, remake a replacement with epoxy resin and attach?

Many moons ago My rear right fender got hit and seems the repairman did a good job at repairing the dent but damaged the breather on the underside of the bumper. Water started getting in when I drove in the rain and that continued for many months before I caught up with it and put a stop to it. But seems I was too late, water had settled in some places where it started rusting and I had it cut off and replaced with a piece of metal sheet of similar thickness. Close to seven years later seems i didnt get it all in time, the problem has resurfaced.

I am contemplating cutting it off and replacing it with epoxy resin, prime and paint the insides, prime the exterior and line it with Upol Gravitex (black). Sorry if it seems like im hijacking because im not, just throwing the option out unto the table to see if anyone has ever done such.

I think it's a dead thread really anyway.
You cannot replace a sill panel with epoxy resin or fibreglass because on these cars that panel is considered structural. Anything but a fully seam welded patch would be an MOT failure as well. Easier to weld it up anyway and makes it a proper job.

Back
Top Bottom