Disappointing

Just wondered if anybody on here has had a play with a fiesta st or a corolla sr. i had the fiesta behind me out in the country a few nights ago and despite having probably a 20-30 yard headstart by the time i got into 4th he was on my bumper, then tonight i had the corolla behind me on a dual carriageway and he could easily keep with me up to about 70 & when i pulled over he flew past - i'd stopped accelerating by then though.
I'm a bit gutted about the corolla cos i think its only a 1.6 but it could easily keep up. anybody else came across these 2 cars? i'm wondering now if the engine has lost a bit of power over the years or its just that i can't drive!

Could be a variety of things mate, I've been unable to beat things that I've been told should be easy, and the other way around!

are you sure the corolla was a SR, there about as quick as an almera SRi according to the stats, 109bhp and 9.9 to 60mph. maybe it was a T Sport, 190bhp 1.8.

Id imagine the ST and GTi are a very close match, similar power and weight, probably just the gearing that is slightly different, i know i hate racing my mates ZR, his 2nd gear goes all the way to like 75mph!!

a t-sport was edging past me up the A1 a few months ago at full pelt. only edging though!

SR with an engine swap or tweaking possbily because at 109bhp and 0-60 of 10 seconds i cant see it beeating a GTi top end unless you were racing in the redline where the powers dropped off, hmm i dunno

I had a ST neck and neck upto 120 ( on a track ) nothing in it.....that was in my totally standard black GTi.

You may be forgetting the GTi is a 10 year old warm hatch....just get the wallet out and you'll never regret it.

SirMixalot said:
Does anyone know whether it is mileage, or age that degrades the power?
:eek: :confused:

Mileage, obviously! :rolleyes:

Mileage = wear.

Wear = loss of power/performance/efficiency. *shakes head*

If it`s been standing about, unused (for a few years for example), since it was built, then it will still be as good as new & @ peak performace.

Simple logic really. :rolleyes:

Mine`s on 112K & seems OK, (but it does have a Fidanza flywheel, stainless header & Janspeed backbox on it) :D

even a warm hatch shouldnt be beaten by a 1.6 though surely? probably down to driving style imo, one gear different etc even at that speed can make a massive difference, i was playing with a 1.0 micra while i was in 3rd and he was in 2nd, was about the same but the next time i was along side him we were both in 2nd and i pulled away easy, not exactly a difficult race or anything to boast about but it gets the point across :rolleyes:

mine pulls on the motorway much better in 5th than 4th aswell, at higher speeds in 4th its past its tiny little bit of power and just goes dead, no idea if the GTi is the same though.

cheers for the response guys. all valid points i must say. i wouln't say i was totally beaten by a 1.6 - i didn't redline it and i didn't really have any intention of doing so but i was surprised by his pace - probably down to me as i was accelerating from about 30 in 3rd when i should probably have been in 2nd but as the engine started to pull past 4k revs he didn't fall back at all which suggests to me he had a little bit left.

but hey, shit happens. time for a couple of mods maybe :)

I had a bit of a go at an Fiesta ST when I had my GTi, bit of road rage he did me at some light when I wasn't trying and then pushed his way in, nailed it when we both went on the dual carriage way (at legal speeds of course) & i have to say I was right on his arse and had to back off the gas a little or I would have been in his exhaust....

but judging a car by another car is hard as you don't know how hard the other guy is trying, have to say the ST driver was trying and seemed a little miffed that an almera could keep up with him...

but having said that I had a little go with a mate when he had a 1.8 sport almera & I saxo VTR (awaits the mocking) & on paper the VTR should have stuffed it but from a rolling start he pulled away... its can also depend on gearing the saxo was quick to about 4000rpm then didn't do a lot, so not much cop from a rolling start

I'm not sure what was going on that night mate,
I've only got an SRI, and fiesta ST's can't compete..

I Haven't seen a corolla yet though!

and as for saxo VTR's, I beat some dude in a VTR off 2 consecutive sets of lights, I had 5 people in my car and he was on his own!
They are a joke..
x

Me neither. Zetec-S Fiesta (which can look the same with the bodykit on) though, yeah. :)

I've seen and heard mixed things about the 190bhp Corollas as well. Apparently IF you drive it perfectly (i.e., revving it like you stole it, but without hitting the limiter), they're bloody fast, I've heard a 182 driver saying how he got beat from a standing start by one, but at anything less than "mad" driving, they're not too fast. A bit like Mazda RX8s...

Back
Top Bottom