Drive shaft

N

Nismera

does anybody know if primera P10 ca16 driveshafts will fit my almera 1.6sr...
Mine broke clean in two last night as I was pulling away from a traffic light.... not easy getting a tow in the middel of the night...crap!!!!!

Thanks!! I've already changed it, got hold of a used drive shaft from a junkyard...
Had to switch the outer CV though, cause the new one is for an almera without ABS.. Lucky I spotted it before I mounted it...LOL

this is a common failiure on the Primeras - ranging from the P10, P11 and P11-144... Let me guess - it snapped under a rubber weight on the shaft
bit like this:
03122006072.jpg

That's right. Snapp off at the same place. Looked like there was a ton rust underneath the rubber weight.

think you 2 are starting a trend lol

is this a nissan thing as ive never heard on a non or low tuned engine snapping the actual drive shaft!

yep - there are loads going on the NPOC at the moment in the same place.

its becuase water collects under the weight and just rots

no easy way and those weights do not come off unless you grind them off... and even then once its started rusting its only a matter of time...

Anyone got a link where we can get complete driveshafts from? :confused:

Buypartsby only do the c.v.joints, not the actual shafts (as far as I can see), & I don`t want to even contemplate going to Nissan.

I`d rather change them now, than have one go when I`m out in the middle of nowhere.

i wouldnt worry about it too much Fred, our p10 had its first one break at 15 years and 77k, obviously some go earlier and some go later etc but yours could have years left in them or they could go tomorrow, doesnt seem a common almera fault yet though, primeras seem to be doing it alot more often.

we had both done when the one side went and i dont think the bill was far short of £500 including the towing to the garage etc, not something i would do just incase at that cost :lol:, although saying that we had the other one replaced just incase but with the age of them it probably didnt have long left and there was some spare money there at the time, were definately at the upper limit of their life judging by how long others last.

i think a company called northwest propshafts do them, definately do for the primera so they probably will for the almera aswell

anyone noticed if the GA almeras have the rubber weight in this country? looks like the ones in Norway do but i havent noticed them on mine, have never really looked but not something i remember seeing there, the replacement ones dont tend to have them though so maybe might arent original

Thanks for the info Jimmy. :)

It`s only 8 years old, but it`s got 109k on it, & I do long distance weekend runs in it.

I`ve been servicing cars with my dad for over 20 years, so have literally got a ton of tools & can do most things myself.

I`d rather get them now, & know I`ve got them, to change @ home when I feel like it, rather than have one go when I`m god-knows-where, & have to fork out for a tow.

Dad was in the dental profession, & taught me that "prevention is better than cure", which roughly translated into motoring terms means: "pay £x for a part
now, or pay £xxx when that part breaks & takes out other stuff with it!"

No disrespect to anyone, but I personally would rather replace stuff that I know will fail, before it gets the chance to.

That may seem like a waste of money to some, but that`s the way I was raised, & it seems like common sense to me (You know it`s gonna break, so replace it before it does).

Sorry for the essay, but that`s my view on things.

I have been meaning to replace the shafts on my primera for some time but never got around to it as i know that on the primera these are a week point...

ok some people might say that i worry to much and sometimes - yeah they dont snap and last the life of the car - but ive now had 2x shafts go on 2x cars in exactly the same place....

also - most drive shaft shops will take your old shaft away to recon it - giving you back some money... I plan on swapping the drivers side in a few months (the passenger one went on mine in Dec)

oh and a dam good place which is just down the road from me

www.northwestpropshafts.com

a few peeps on NPOC have used them for "mail order" service - i went to pick mine up - fantastic people and really took the time explaining things - the shaft turned up bang on 5 and waited 10mins whilst i nailed it down to them in the Mighty Micra to collect it!

The dynamic dampers aren't rubber, they are a metal collar that is coated in rubber. I suppose the best way to remove one would be to mount the driveshaft (sans CV) in a vice vertically and to heat the rubber/metal up until the rubber that bonds it to the shaft melted...it should then just slide off.

But removing it MAY cause vibration. They are fitted just in case the shaft is out of balance. Rather than checking each shaft for balance they just fit one to be sure.

Plus as already stated, it will be rotten under there. See attached pic for the state of mine when it snapped. I removed some of the rubber to get a better idea of what the actual damper consists of.

SplanK said:
ok some people might say that i worry to much

Who would say such a thing ?? :p

Attachments

• snapped driveshaft.jpg
    snapped driveshaft.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 40
Looking at the above pic, you can see how much the outer layer of the driveshaft has crumbled away and how thin the remaining section is. No wonder it snapped.

You can see the rubber under the metal collar, that is the size of the original shaft (look at the size of the remaining shaft near the CV joint too). The rubber underneath then meets up with the rubber that was over the collar and is then strapped to the shaft, it's supposed to seal it. There are also holes in the rubber to allow and water that gets in to be spun out.

The reason for snapping is probably due to water being spun out but salt from gritting, and some moisture, being left in there to work away at the metal.

thats nuts! looks like its been on the titanic. wonder if nissan have redesigned them for new models

eek that looks scary mark! Imagine doing some speed round a bend and that happens! Can`t do the gearbox much good when it goes either..........

I HAVE BOTH driveshafts from p10GT, if somebody want ;)
good condition of course price 100 pounds

Back
Top Bottom