Euuuuuunooooosuuuu

Sam

Staff member
Once upon a time I picked this up for a ridiculous price, many of you wont believe how much.

I bought it with a suspected head gasket failure, turned out to simply be missing a belt.

IMAG0459.jpg

IMAG0457.jpg

IMAG0456.jpg

IMAG0455.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

Ended up breaking this after I found some fairly substantial damage and a bodge repair...

IMAG0956.jpg

IMAG0959.jpg

and this much filler

IMAG0957.jpg

but ever since my brief foray with the red car I had a bit of an itch to scratch, when I saw the original advert for the car I fell for it right away, sadly I was too late, I had missed it by a couple of days :(

Moving on I considered a few other cars but was genuinely gutted I had missed out, Tom the then current owner put up his build thread outlining his plans for the car, whete I commented how I missed out and should he sell to let me know, so I had settled that it was now with a new owner.

AMAZINGLY he contacted me last weekend saying due to unfortunate circumstances he was having to sell the car and was I interested (VERY) we arranged a deal and I made my way up yesterday setting off at 5.30am to collect the car heading from Bristol>Liverpool.

Initial impressions of the car were good, it drove well handled very well, though I couldnt help but feel it was under powered like something was holding it back, 2nd gear left a lot to the imagination, I set off on my way home stopping off at a Jerks halfway to convert him.

21776_10152259024345711_1601764907_n.jpg

I put in a full tank of VPower and continued on my way, after running around 1/3 a tank through the car I came off the motorway and gave the car another work through the gears, it caught me off guard the DIFFERENCE a tank of fuel had made has actually astounded me, its a completely different car so I am now a very happy chap :D

The car is not without its niggles, no real faults I have found yet though pleasantly.

The first thing I had to rectify was the steering wheel, had god knows how many years of dirt/sweat/grimness in it.

Before

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

After

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Next things on the list are to change all the fluids, timing belt as I do with every new motor for piece of mind.

Spent today working in the sunshine.

Car was listed as having the 'Aircon Removed' that simply consisted off this..

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

So spent the morning removing all the rest of it, noticing a nifty little inclusion from Mazda to allow the removal of the Aircon rad/condensor.

IMG_0040.jpg

Snip the sides of it and pull it down, this provides a nice gap for the rad to be pulled out.

IMG_0042.jpg

So Im now left with this lot

IMG_0039.jpg

Have ordered a shorter belt, so once that has arrived, I will remove the pump and bracket.

Unfortunately at this point I noticed a small puddle on the ground that I have traced to a dribble coming from behind the crank pulley, so I guess the water pump is leaking
rant.gif
looking through the history it claims the Cambelt was changed back in April, no mention of the water pump being done though, the CAS seal needs changing too as there is an awful lot of oil on the back of the engine now.

So I will order up all the associated parts for that and Il change the cambelt whilst Im at it so I know its done at least.

I did also have a bit of luck, I was admiring my fix for the missing alt tensioner bolt when I noticed something stuck down behind the PS rack.

IMG_0037.jpg

Will get this refitted at some point

IMG_0038.jpg

Finished off the day changing the gearbox oil and flushing out the turret oil, gear change feels SUPERB now :) had changed the Diff oil on Friday after noon :)

They are really good fun to drive. Has this got the 6 speed box and Bilsteins? My mrs has the RS Lightweight one.
They handle suprisingly well and are quite tricky to get them to step out on you with them being so low.
The only problem I found was i'm too tall for them!

Nice work Sam. These are a good little car anyway you look at it. Any sideways action immanent? I've got a supercharger kicking around if you want some serious fun. Won't be needing it now so it's just an expensive paperweight. Choice mods and she'll be sweet.

Itl be turbo'd if anything :)

Not anytime soon though, need to rectify some leaks and get the chassis braced again to sort out some dents I've found in the rails :p

Back
Top Bottom