fed up of buckling wheels

as title im pretty damn fed up :( im getting some new alloys but dont want to fuck them up again. i have 2 pairs in mind both 17" which ill show you later.
ive run with 205/40/17 twice now and both times the wheels buckled. im in a decision wether to go with 215/45 or a 205/45 tyre.
which would be best to go with taking into consideration the extra weight and diffrences in speed? will i feel a big diffrence going up a tyre size or 2?
i know you can get lightweight wheels but does that meen there not as strong? whats the average weight for a 17"* 7 wide

these adr's are 9.5kg each without tyres
4ade_12.JPG

these others are a known manufacturer but i dont know the weight of the wheels as of yet...these have been PS'd to my car, lenso reizen

rhyda1copy.gif

opinions and anwsers please ;)

Love those lenso's...i wanted those a while back..
Id go for 215/45's as they should give a nice tyre lip to protect the wheels a bit more.
The extra weight should be minimal between tyres, and shouldnt affect performance much.. probably get some extra grip though.

if you are looking for better performance, wouldnt a smaller radius be better? i'd say go for a set of 15/16' lightweight wheels,

i had a set of 17' Wolfraces on my old 1.4, and i ended up buckling 3 of them (buckled 2 of them in one go, stupid pothole, and the other one after i just got the other 2 back)

plus, you may save money on replacing tyres of a smaller radius.

not so much better performance but dont want to be any slower, ive looked into 16" and i think they will look small without coilovers

rhyd4 said:
not so much better performance but dont want to be any slower, ive looked into 16" and i think they will look small without coilovers

i think with any bigger wheel, if you were taking off it would make SOME difference.. not sure how much, but i'd imagine, you'd be a bit slower with bigger wheels..

if you go for a smaller size, say 15/16, get higher profile tyres, would fill the gap abit.. or maybe, you should get coilovers?! :p

Never buckled a wheel in my life and all my cars have worn 205/40/17's ive hit bricks, pot holes and a copy of the yellow pages on my last set of shoes, with no ill effects. Think its just bad luck mate in all honesty. Lightweight rims are no weaker than a normal alloy, and 9.5kg for the 1st (my favourite) set is fairly light. The average Team Dynamics or Wolfrace wheel weighs in at around 12-13.5kg!

Damo-Sri said:
The average Team Dynamics or Wolfrace wheel weighs in at around 12-13.5kg!
Don't get average ones :) Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s are about 3/4 of that, my 17s weigh exactly the same as my 15" steelies did (with tyres).

7.0 x 14 from 5.7kg (12.5lbs)
7.0 x 15 from 6.9kgs (15.1lbs)
7.0 x 16 from 7.4kgs (16.2lbs)
7.0 x 17 from 7.9kgs (17.3lbs)
7.5 x 17 from 8.2kgs (18.0lbs)
8.0 x 17 from 9.0kgs (19.8lbs)
9.0 x 17 from 9.5kgs (20.9lbs)
8.0 x 18 from 9.0kgs (19.8lbs)
9.0 x 18 from 11.5kgs (24.2lbs)

(without tyres, weight is for highest available offset, pro race 2 are even lighter :) )

if u get a bigger tyre, you're gonna have less of a turning circle, but more shock absorbant for the alloy wheel

Larger wheels and ultra-low profile tires look cool, but as with lowering, there will be side effects as well. Large diameter wheels have a lot of mass at the rim, which wastes engine muscle to get rotating. Also, a large wheel/tire combo often ends up taller than stock in total height, which changes the final drive ratio of the car. This leads to slower acceleration, as well as speedometer error. Lastly, big rims with low-profile tires tend to wander, rather than track straight, as they are influenced by waves and bumps in the road surface. Best i can do at 8.15am :p

i want to try and keep a set of tyres for more than one summer hence the tyre change, im not going up any bigger size alloys to what ive got already. also i dont think i could justify spending the same amount of money on 15/16" when i might as well put my standard gti's on.
i know i'l get better rim protection and better cushining from the 215/45's but dont want to feel too much loss in exeleration.
also the 1st set are an unknown make and im wondering about the quality in that wheel, its the 3rd set i so i obviously want to buy the best set :rolleyes:
wish i thought of this 2 sets ago :roll:

well heres my car as it is at the moment, 215/45/17 tyres are huge and are coming off, because they rub the front inner wheel arch cover on full lock for some daft reason, they'v even raised my car 3" so i can get into quary's :p

DSC00359.jpg

i like this angle shot (not by me)

14.HPIM0481%20(Large).JPG

Back
Top Bottom