First big clean up since purchase

• Thread starter Thread starter mikesndbs
  • Start date Start date
M

mikesndbs

Hi, posted this on another forum for car cleaning but thought it may be of interest here too!

:o God do my arms ache :shock:

(Note :!: may take some time to load up)

Ok here's a description (Photo rich) of my first attempt.
I have decided that I need to wait for some reliable good weather, some good health :) and to sort out a local pollution issue before I go ahead with the polish and wax stages.

Right, well I leaned a very great deal and have been very impressed at the quality and ability of the products used!

The pollution.
(Sub) The Good Life brigade.
One Barbara and Tom would be tolerable but three close by is just a #~#*$ nuisance!
ashmakers.jpg

Three houses with wood burning stoves and heating meaning that every night a thick layer of ash descends onto our cars :evil:
LooK
ash.jpg

That was this morning.

As it was a nice day I decided that I would at least give the cars a wash using the Chemical Guys - Extreme Wash and Wax and then trying for the first time ever the idea of drying afterwards (well not quite the first but I have given up using chamois)

First a look at the car before we start.
CdyB4.jpg

Some nasty bumper scuffs (NO was not me :roll: )
bumperprob1.jpg

bumperprob.jpg

Cdyprob2.jpg

cdyprob1.jpg

Bit of a hard life so far :?

Ideas suggestions please?

So then I rinsed her off!

Now the bucket with the grit guard, what a bloody good idea that is!
Worked a treat.
I also selected to use the sheep skin mitt this time as I have never used one before.
Was nice to use and surprisingly good to get into difficult areas.
Oh yeah I did the wheels first :cool: (used to do last)

I washed in sections and rinsed off as I went to prevent drying, the sun was very hot :cool:

Biggest surprise of the day?????

Huge 38” x 28” Waffle weave Microfibre Drying Towel with pockets!
AMAZING :shock: it just eats water!
Lay it out, pull it over and the car is dry!
So here is a pic after the wash and dry.

aftww.jpg

Top marks, drying took just minutes!

:?: How do I clean the drying towel?

Ok here is where I deviate from the path and go to the dark side!
I saw little point in applying the polish now as I would not have time to do the wax, and thus in the morning the car would be covered in ash and I would be back to Sq 1.
So as I had already purchased it I thought I might as well try the Waterless wash trial kit, that claims to polish and leave a protective layer all in one.
Results were good but I am sure not as good as the proper polish then wax that I will do as soon as I can.

Read on for the results.

http://www.go-waterless.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=100

Here are the results, seemed to help the bumper scuff.

afpol.jpg

clos.jpg

afpol2.jpg

afpol3.jpg

afpol1.jpg

lookingood.jpg

So there we have it, still took some time but I hope has left some protection for now.

One thing is for sure I am well and truly converted to the 'proper' way of washing and drying using the products sold here, stunning :D
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

Hope this has been of interest.

Mike

West Sussex

To wash your dring towel or any microfibre towels simply wash on a wool setting using a cheap non bio wash powder with no fabric softners or conditioners. Specific wash products do exist but this works just aswell.Top work though mate. Good method with good results.

Damo-Sri said:
To wash your dring towel or any microfibre towels simply wash on a wool setting using a cheap non bio wash powder with no fabric softners or conditioners. Specific wash products do exist but this works just aswell.Top work though mate. Good method with good results.

Cheers buddy :D most kind of you

Sorry to hijack, but I noticed the fog light blanking inserts in the bumper, look a lot better than the nasty ones I've seen on most N16s (including mine) Where did you get them from?

Schnakey said:
Sorry to hijack, but I noticed the fog light blanking inserts in the bumper, look a lot better than the nasty ones I've seen on most N16s (including mine) Where did you get them from?

Hi, thats how she came!

I want to try and fit some lights there, need to check if there is any wiring behind.
Hmm, may do that shortly.

Mike

mikesndbs said:
Hi, thats how she came!

I want to try and fit some lights there, need to check if there is any wiring behind.
Hmm, may do that shortly.

Mike

There is / should be wiring in behind the bumper. There is on mine anyway. I've been trying to source fogs for a while. Nissan said they can't help me as they only stock the newer "round" ones. I forgot to ask for a part number. doh.

I'm now looking at possibly buying smaller fog lights and building them into the inserts. Could look pretty cool. Need to find a set of inserts first though. :D

I got quoted £170 (parts+labour) for fitting the OEM fog-lights to my 2000 N16 by my local Nissan dealer.
Given the job they did the last time I took my car in they could well have been talking out of their butts, though, as they seem pretty clueless.

StevenC said:
There is / should be wiring in behind the bumper. There is on mine anyway. I've been trying to source fogs for a while. Nissan said they can't help me as they only stock the newer "round" ones. I forgot to ask for a part number. doh.

I'm now looking at possibly buying smaller fog lights and building them into the inserts. Could look pretty cool. Need to find a set of inserts first though. :D

thats a lie, i work for a nissan dealer, we can order them. i dunno what they are retail but i can get them for £50 per light iirc maybe a little more

lady @ service desk @ arnold clark carmondean told me that. Why would I lie? :S

Could you possibly check for me dude? Tho I'm not sure I'd pay those prices for them :S

How about a pair of bumper inserts? Could probably make some cool looking "DIY" ones with a touch of fibreglass, spray paint, a dremil and a small universal fog.

StevenC said:
How about a pair of bumper inserts? Could probably make some cool looking "DIY" ones with a touch of fibreglass, spray paint, a dremil and a small universal fog.

Which one? i know one of them cos i used to work with her and yes that does sound about right cos when i worked with Arnold Clark (many a month ago) it was bout £140 for me and that was my staff discount!

Plus they're piss easy to fit - if i can do it (and so far the car hasn't shorted itself) then you can do it!

Back
Top Bottom