Fitting a turbo

Hello guys,
I have a Nissan Almera N16 1.5 SE petrol (facelift) and I would like to ask if anyone knows of a website or a place I can call about fitting a turbocharger on the car. I like the car but it just needs that extra push for me personally.
Thanks.

I agree with Liam.

Drop an sr20 in it then turbo it.

If your budget allows it, drop an sr20ve in it.

Or x trail gt sr20vet lol

Why are people against charging a smaller engine? Maybe he does not want to go through the effort of an engine swap, or very content with the car as is, but still wants a bit more umph. Bit like my 1.2 Micra which is supercharged (factory) - its not the quickest car in the world, but the boost make it much more fun drive compared to the NA motor!

Fitting a turbo is "fairly straight forward" affair if you are fairly hands on, essentially you will need an turbo manifold (may need to get one made up from scratch though...), then the down pipe to the rest of the exhaust.... then there is the intake plumbing with intercooler, as well as an oil feed + return (usually from oil filter with an adapter, when a return to the sump)...

The trick is to get the fuelling right. Low boost setups can usually get away with standard ECU with either a piggy back or a chip and that's it.

Start to increase the boost past "low boost" and you start maxing out things like injectors, fuel pumps to the cost starts to increase quite rapidly. High boost you may need to decrease the compression ratio, cams more suited to boosted engine.

As to what is considered "low boost" on these engines I'm not quite sure. I have 7psi stuck in my head but that's back from the SR20 days!

Its not really about the size. Its the QG aspect. Quite a hassle.

-phone-

Because he could get the same power for £200 and a weekends work. The days of getting hi-5's for spending fuck tons of money on baby engines are over.

Basic very low boost isn't really expensive, but you will get it done and everything will be groovy for a while, then you will be bored with that and want more. Which then becomes more expensive, and like its been said if you had gone the sr transplant route you would have had the "more power" route out the box.

Then you could low boost the SR and have smiles till your bored of that, then spend more money on high boost, then be happy then get bored and spend even more money, then be happy then........
Someone slap me quick I'm stuck in my own mind!

Thanks for the advice. I am not keen on going down the swap engine route. Insurers will walk away with my head and bank account. Does anyone know a company within the UK I can get in touch with about making the parts and getting a quote for the whole lot? Not looking to go overboard on whole power aspect of it. Only looking to add another 20-30 bhp on top to match my previous car in performance roughly.

You can buy turbo manifolds for the engine from america for a few hundred £.

The rest will be custom/trail and error. Id imagine if youre paying someone to do it then the costs will run into the thousands.

Not exactly on line with OP.. but would advise buying a N16 DCi its already turbocharged got all the infrastructure in place (Saves alot of money converting a non turbo setup car). Just buy an uprated turbo/intercooler and remap it like EDK

I say torque can you hear me!

Depends on personal preference. Some really don't like Diesels. I'm fine with it, the drive and power and economy make up for lack of a nice noise and high revs.

The fact you can pick up a dCi 136 for so little now though it does make sense to.

-phone-

Cost wise though just done the numbers and assuming you can pick up a dCi 136 for £1600 like Liam did you could have 200+ bhp and 45+mpg for £3,300 all in.

Whether thats good or bad that's up to the person.

-phone-

Hello guys,
I have a Nissan Almera N16 1.5 SE petrol (facelift) and I would like to ask if anyone knows of a website or a place I can call about fitting a turbocharger on the car. I like the car but it just needs that extra push for me personally.
Thanks.
Hi, I know that is couple yaers after you put this post but I want asku You, did You make it?

I’m looking at turboing my 1.5 almera low boost 6/7psi obviously but want to know Would I need to upgrade the ecu without the engine having a fit or blowing up? And also would I need upgraded injectors? If so where to find them, I know it’s stupid wanting to do a build just for a low boost car but I don’t want to do a sr20 build and just want to have a bit of fun making it a tad faster

Back
Top Bottom