Front cross member corrosion

Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum I've found the advice useful for me before now but I need some help with my front cross member. I recently had some work done on my gearbox and the garage advised me to sell my car after seeing severe corrosion on the front cross member.

I decided just to drive the car into the ground but only a couple of weeks later my front right coil spring sheared so I'm going to repair that now. I thought I'd take a look at the front cross member whilst I was at it. Here's some pics

IMAG0337_zps42da3ea1.jpg

IMAG0341_zpsc75ccfc5.jpg

IMAG0338_zps6dd521d5.jpg

I am wondering if its worth replacing or if some anti rust coating would be beneficial. I know its already rusted quite badly but I don't have anything to compare it to so I was looking for some more experienced advice.

Thanks, Lewis.

The crossmembers are pretty cheap to buy on their own, from as little as £30.

Fitting however depends on your mechanical skill on if you can do it yourself or get a garage to do it. Even so it's not overly complicated.

If you're planning on keeping the car then get it done.

I think I'd be able to remove the old one myself and get someone else to do the welds the only thing is it looks like it's supporting a middle beam which holds the front engine mount. Would the engine have to be supported when I remove and install the front cross beam or is it ok to just remove it and then replace it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Also is this an MOT failure? Mot is due in November and I was told when I got the gearbox re-mounted that it's not an MOT failure with current MOT regulations.

it will be an MOT failure if it's spotted. It's probably classed as a semi-structural panel in terms of mounting the radiator and the lower torque mount and underbrace. It needs to be joined properly in the right places with the right type of welds. That's not including proper anti-corrosion so that it doesn't turn into biscuit again in 2 years time.

Also is this an MOT failure? Mot is due in November and I was told when I got the gearbox re-mounted that it's not an MOT failure with current MOT regulations.

According to Nissan UK the front cross-member is not a structural part.

On My 2001 Almera N16 the front crossmember was virtually rotted away in the center, the bottom had fallen out and the whole thing was practically separated (I think it was being held together by the radiator :) ) but only ever had it mentioned as an advisory in every test it went through till I sold it. To be honest it was at least as bad as the one in the first post.

To replace it I was quoted £75 for a genuine Nissan part, plus labour - all in would have been £200 - 250 at my local garage.

Just did mine with the help of John was a simple fix only issues we had were to do with the pattern part having additional bolts and they needed cutting off. Think this is due to the part being based on the phase 1 crossmember.

Sent from my  iPad® using Tapatalk

Just did mine with the help of John was a simple fix only issues we had were to do with the pattern part having additional bolts and they needed cutting off. Think this is due to the part being based on the phase 1 crossmember.

Sent from my  iPad® using Tapatalk

Hi. I've just bought an Almera Tino SE= from a family friend. I did have a P12 Primera with the same front crossmember problem.

My Tino's is also shot. Cleveland Panels say they have one which bolts on and then tack welds if needed. Has anyone used this type of panel? Would it have to be welded? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As they stated they need tack welding in as there are not any bolts to hold them in which is a shame. A simple fix though bit worth treating first so the replacement doesn't follow suit and rust.

Sent from my  iPhone[emoji768] using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom