Getting rid of overspray?

As the scottish owners will testify there's a certain area of my car (i.e. the driver side rear door) that's certainly been oversprayed with my aerosol paint can so i was wondering is there any way i can take this off without completely removing the good paint underneath?

I can scrape it off with my nail (when its long enough) but i don't have the patience to scratch off every square cm with my thumbnail!!

Any suggestions? And ideally i don't wanna go to a bodyshop for it as costs come into the equation

a clay bar should do it, when our p10 was in the bodyshop it got alot of overspray over the back of it, was only laquer though so obviously they hadnt noticed, clay bar got rid of it easily.

I was absolutely certain i pointed it out to ya - sure i did at the last dundee meet you were at where the two parties were at different tesco's! LoL

well used brillo pads are good... as long as they're soaked in water... gets lots of tar off easily too, but too much scrubbing, and not enough water will dull the paint

G3 with a damp cloth on a wet penal. Needs polished up afterwards as it does swirl the paint a wee bit. Worked for me!

P2000 sand paper, wet. take the shine off the lacquer. buff up with G3 cutting compund, Polish with 3M handglaze or equivelant. Polish with whatever car polish you use.

QUOTE=StevenC]G3 with a damp cloth on a wet penal. Needs polished up afterwards as it does swirl the paint a wee bit. Worked for me![/QUOTE]

Hmm, a wet panel, the only reason the panel would need to be wet is if the polishing pad was hard. its not the dryness that causes the swirl marks its the pressure appied.

Didnt know that till recently I was buffing scratches off a mates car, and one of the painters came over from the bodyshop and asked me why I had the panel wet. that was what he told me.

A wet panel will provide more lubrication which will mean that if you are polishing by hand you are not too harsh and if by machine - will not burn the paint.

always thought people had the panel wet to keep the polish going for a bit longer, used scratch x on a drill attachment like that and it gave you time to work it in properly, without water it just dried out too quickly.

StevenC said:
A wet panel will provide more lubrication which will mean that if you are polishing by hand you are not too harsh and if by machine - will not burn the paint.

Polish to hard by hand? 5 seconds with a machine on one spot is harder than anyone could polish by hand i would have said, and the paint only burns when you polish for excessive periods of time allowing heat to build up. So long as you are aware of the heat build up, and monitor it, not allowing the panel to get too warm, then adding water does very little but make a mess of every exterior plastic within 500 meters when you swtch on the machine. ;)

Its easier to see what you are doing without water too, especially if your bringing a panel back up from a p2000 rub down, as you can gauage the pressure to be applied by looking at the way the panel is comming up. If its wet, all you see is water.

Dont think we are gonna agree on this one Steven. lol :D

Paul - If it's aerosol and it's OEM paint it's oversprayed on. Just rub some thinners on it and it'll take it straight off, no pissing around.

Back
Top Bottom