GTi vs VZR.

Just wondering is there much of a noticable differance in power between the GTi and VZR (blue top)!
I know there is 25 or so bhp but side by side is there a huge differance as i might buy one next as there comming down in price. the reason i went for the Gti as a run around is there cheaper and the phase 2 kit i love twords the vzr looks plain.The Gti is dead enough up too 4000rpm i know but is the vzr very dead up too the VVL?

I`ve always thought the 16VE ( even as N1 ) is overrated. The only way to make good power/torque is fit a DE bottom end. Enough said really.

yeah i gotta say, the GTi is bad enough under 4k, especially standard. Although i'd love the vvl noise, i think the vzr sr16 might be a little too annoying, would have to drive one though

The gti has more torque and prob feels quicker and the Vzr has very little below 6k but revs higher than the gti, 8200 rev limit.

If i was you id buy a vzr, you have 175bhp standard and in time you could do a 2litre conversion having alot of power and torque.

I had a passenger ride in Chawkie's VZ-R at JAE 2006, it really didnt feel that fast at all. Not as fast as my gti anyway.

Its weird tho the way its such a light car with 175bhp u would think it would pee all over the gti

how much does an normal vz-r weigh then? i can't see how they're that much lighter?

the autech had lightweight bits didn't it? but i though the vz-r was fairly similar?

i mean its small car for 175 bhp you would think the Gti would not come near!
is the N1 a very quick car twords the normal vzr and the Gti?

i mean its small car for 175 bhp you would think the Gti would not come near!
is the N1 a very quick car twords the normal vzr and the Gti?

oh yeah, see what you mean! :O

yeah 30bhp more is a fair bit, you'd think if it was worked hard it would destoy a GTi.

Its all about torque. Torque = acceleration. BHP = top speed.
Give me max power and more useable power at lower rpm any day of the week.

Dare i say the 16VE and N1 was more of a gimmick/talking point?
20VE is great though and coupled with a few N1 parts is superb.

It's really all about the 2 different markets the 2 cars were aimed at.

In the UK it was the Gti badge which sold a car and if you think Gti in the 90's you wanted a 2.0 engine with all the mod cons, bodykit, alloys etc. This was before the days of the Civic R and Variable Valve's so you either had a Gti or the next step a turbo 2.0.

In Japan things were different, technology paticularly exclusive technology sold cars. The Japs would only buy a car if it was a Japan exclusive vehicle and hadn't been released elsewhere in the world.

Lets face it with the technology Nissan had in the 90's they could have made the Almera/Pulsar a much quicker car to rival the Civic R and I bet they are kicking themselves when they see just how many R's sold in the UK alone. If they'd have done a 2.0 VVL Almera Gti or even a Gti-R engine'd Almera when they could then there'd be a lot more Almera owners!

All I can say is get a standard Gti and a standard VZ-R put em side by side and see which one's the fastest that way.

Lets face it with the technology Nissan had in the 90's they could have made the Almera/Pulsar a much quicker car to rival the Civic R and I bet they are kicking themselves when they see just how many R's sold in the UK alone. If they'd have done a 2.0 VVL Almera Gti or even a Gti-R engine'd Almera when they could then there'd be a lot more Almera owners!

to me this is the stupid bit, i find it still ridiculous. - like you say, so many CTRs, golf gti's, leon R etc are sold, nissan are missin a trick.

for 55k the gtr is a car that looks and goes like things far more expensive. therefore if nissan wanted to, they could make something awesome - hot hatch wise - they've got the designers and knowhow obviously. just wish they'd do it.

i can see it now - the new pulsar, hot hatch with looks inspired by the GTR, sr20vet :D

It's got to be one of the reasons why they had to partnership with someone to get them out of trouble. They really did miss a trick. They would have sold more cars and improved their image.

SOMEONE must have i video clip of a Gti up against the Vzr i searched the forum and i cant see this discussed before which is strange . id love a drive in a N1.

To me this is one of the reasons that I think the N1 is a special car. It's an example of Nissan proving what they were capable of technology wise. It was an exercise in engineering that sadly came to nothing.
They proved they had the engineering skills to build a great car but they couldn't read the markets. Thats been my point for years............

how much does an normal vz-r weigh then? i can't see how they're that much lighter?

My export cerfificate has the VZR as 1120kg...and every car is weighed before it's put on the boat.

Dare i say the 16VE and N1 was more of a gimmick/talking point?

Not at all, the tax laws in Japan mean N/A cars upto 1.6 are in the cheap bracket...once over tax is alot more. So the N/A 1.6 category became a breeding ground for cheap, fast cars. Everyone trying to out do each other with the EK9, VZR, Cyborg, Levin all fighting for it...and being such a popular market caused the likes of the N1.

Back
Top Bottom