1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heater blower resistor diy fix

Discussion in 'N16 Styling, Cosmetics & Bodywork' started by frank mc, Sep 15, 2013.

1. frank mc

frank mc

Model:
    van
    Chassis:
    n16
    140.jpg hi all i thought i would share my find as i don't think its common knowledge,
    the heater blower stopped working on my 05 dci almera van i narrowed the problem down to the heater resistor
    i got a replacement in a scrapyard for £25 swapped it over and the blower worked again.

my curiosity got the better of me i had to take my old resistor apart to try find out what was wrong with it
    as expected i couldn't find any obvious issues, i decided to plug it back into the car for further testing i was using a multimeter to check for power in/out and i accidently bridged 2 contacts with the multimeter and amazingly the blower worked, i soldered a spare ecu pin to bridge the 2 contacts. it has been a year now since i did the mod and unbelievably the blower still works perfect in all modes for any length of time,

i will put a pic up to show this easy fix, regards frank
    .edit.
    you can see top left where i soldered on a link from the diode to the pin,

happy to share this hope it helps someone out

Attached Files:

• 139.jpg
      139.jpg
      File size:
      495 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    edk likes this.
  2. pel

pel

Model:
    gti
    Chassis:
    n15
    Been covered a few times, I know when it happened on my n15 it was pretty obvious where it had blown, dollop of solder and it was fine x x

3. Witherkay

Witherkay

Model:
    Twister + SXE DCi
    Chassis:
    N16
    If it's damaged do the blowers stop working at certain speeds? Mine works on all speeds but the blower is very weak, highest setting is like the lowest on other cars.

4. Sam

Sam Moderator Staff Member

Model:
    VZR N1
    Chassis:
    N15
    Motor could be dying or the pollen filters could be clogged up.

Clean vs dirty

uploadfromtaptalk1379337878608.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379337892876.jpg

Witherkay likes this.
  5. frank mc

frank mc

Model:
    van
    Chassis:
    n16
    this is not the same type resistor, the resistor i'm talking about is located in the drivers side left of the clutch pedal held in place with 2 bolts i'll get some pics up soon

6. Fur

Fur

Model:
    SXE
    Chassis:
    N16
    I have the same problem, the motor factors keep supplying me with those white filters, and I keep telling them mine are brown :D

7. frank mc

frank mc

Model:
    van
    Chassis:
    n16
    pics added

edk likes this.
  8. Petercarn

Petercarn

Model:
    N16 sport
    Chassis:
    tried this but the 2 fuses for the blower are still blowing??

9. BarryCurran101

BarryCurran101

Model:
    Almera 1.5
    Chassis:
    N16
    Hey everyone,have same problem,could you help with locating it...where is it on drivers side?? Thanks.

10. Andrei

Andrei

Model:
    Se
    Chassis:
    SJNFANN16U0475536
    Me too the same problem and I cant find it. I looked under the glove box and left of clutch. Also my pollen filter was in bad shape and I just took it out for now. Should be able to start if I fix it without the filter?

11. RobertBarnesi

RobertBarnesi

Model:
    GX 1.6
    Chassis:
    N15
    Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like what has blown in most cases is the fusible link on the blower resistor board, which I suppose is supposed to protect the blower motor from overload. The thing is, I'm not sure why it's even there, since there are anyways two parallel 15 amp fuses in series with the blower resistor which provide protection for the blower motor. Just an over cautious design? At least that's how it's setup on the N15.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018