Hello fellow almera owner's just bought a diesel

Just bought a almera 2.2dci SXE 3dr in black 05 plate from a decent honest chap. Saw ad on autotrader on Tuesday went down that afternoon and boy it was in really good nick for an eight year old black car. Hardly a scratch on it (one or two if that) completely standard, interior mint just had a new recon turbo put on. Alloys all in good shape. Everything works comes with sat-nav with the disc just needs updating probably won't bother as I know my way around as I am a delivery driver.

Just sold my BMW 540i after six months ownership not because it was a dog it was one of the best out their condition wise. The car became a daily driver and had to sell so that was the end of that. Anyway this is my 4th Nissan in 7yrs my previous three were an s13 200sx that I wrapped round a lamp post on a cold boxing day morning on the 8th day of ownership, then their was the Nissan Primera 1.6LX P10 that I had for just over a year most reliable car I have ever owned sold to a mate for £300 quid and a month later the water pump failed on him on the motorway and as you can imagine he was not a happy chap and are friendship kinda dwindled from their on in (joking kind of). After I sold the primera I bought myself an S14 automatic 200sx had that for 18months even though it was not the best well not the best after a muppet mechanic got his hands on it and it was only later when I was selling the car, well cut a long story short (I can never do this bare with me) the muppet tried to do me out of some money. He did an oil service on the car then about four weeks or so I checked the oil and it was below the min mark so I took the car back and he said I was loosing oil through the crankcase. Anyway I said I would cut a long story short so just before I sold it I started to go to my local trusty mechanic this was back in 2008 and been going back their ever since and he told me it looks like he has cross threaded the oil filter by this point the engine was covered in oil and this muppet was servicing the company vans.

Anyway back to the almera hope you all are still with me I can go on a bit :¬)
After giving the car a once over and taking it on a test drive and being really pleased with how it performed for a diesel, I decided on snapping it up only thing was I did not bring a deposit with me as this is a new rule for me as in the past I always buy the first car I look at and this time it was not the case as this was the second almera diesel I had viewed in a week. I am glad I viewed this one too because it is a very decent purchase.

I'll call it a day for now as this post is getting a bit long winded but I'll just like to say their is one problem with the car and that is the car is very juddery at low speeds but that is for another thread.

Welcome to the club :) Thanks for a decent introduction post! Already well into the Nissan family I see with the P10 and S14. I'm sure the N16 feels slow after the S14 but it's a good all rounder and a smooth engine for a Diesel.

Regular oil changes will keep the turbo running ok (they are a weak spot on these engines), and keep the fuel filters fresh and run Forte injector cleaner every now and then to keep the pump and injectors happy.

The juddering at low speeds / low rpm under load can be many things. There is however quite a big restriction on exhaust, with the CAT being bolted right on to the turbo. I found the engine far more forgiving when I de-CAT'd mine and fitted a custom exhaust. A cheap (read free) way of sorting this out is to gut the CAT.

Do you have problems at idle, starting the engine from cold, or keeping the engine running at these slow speeds?

Welcome to the club any pics of the new purchase yet? The number of DCi's in the club is growing fast. :)

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club any pics of the new purchase yet? The number of DCi's in the club is growing fast. :)

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk
Yep definitely will put some pics up when I get the time. The car is in pretty good nick for an 8yr old car except the passenger rear quarter has a few shopping trolley dints but nothing the dentmaster's can't sort.

88miles to £14 is not good? I want to buy fuel from where you are. At nearly £7 a gallon thats 40mpg.

Check the earth strap to the gearbox isn't snapped. I replaced mine, and also cleaned the maf with carb cleaner. It made a huge difference to both performance and MPG.

88miles to £14 is not good? I want to buy fuel from where you are. At nearly £7 a gallon thats 40mpg.
I was expecting 50+ as I used motorway and A road and about 5mins of town, maybe I was expecting to much as coming from a 4.4l V8 I was getting 24.7mpg
Welcome to the club :) Thanks for a decent introduction post! Already well into the Nissan family I see with the P10 and S14. I'm sure the N16 feels slow after the S14 but it's a good all rounder and a smooth engine for a Diesel.

Regular oil changes will keep the turbo running ok (they are a weak spot on these engines), and keep the fuel filters fresh and run Forte injector cleaner every now and then to keep the pump and injectors happy.

The juddering at low speeds / low rpm under load can be many things. There is however quite a big restriction on exhaust, with the CAT being bolted right on to the turbo. I found the engine far more forgiving when I de-CAT'd mine and fitted a custom exhaust. A cheap (read free) way of sorting this out is to gut the CAT.

Do you have problems at idle, starting the engine from cold, or keeping the engine running at these slow speeds?
Hi edk,

Apologies for the late reply and to answer your question on the problem I have had with the car is pretty hard to explain. Their is a few issues but nothing too drastic the main problem being it's drinking to much diesel £14 and 88miles is not good and when travelling at slow speeds (1-40mph) it feels like the brakes are coming on and off which is maybe why it is using to much fuel. Also when pulling away in 1st when coasting in traffic it is like the car is on kangaroo juice. I don't think it is the clutch as the car is fine when up to speed and the acceleration is brisk.

It's recently had a new turbo put on it is that anything to do with it, maybe an ecu and fuel pump reset is needed. I have scrolled through 37 pages of other almera discussion with my eyes bleeding and the problems that other diesel owners have had similarly to mine maybe I need to do this. Than again I do not suffer from cold starts or bad idling so I do not no. Hopefully you being the expert diesel guru can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance

I see. My average over 5500miles (apprx 50/50 motorway/town) is 40.1 which im very happy with considering the weight of my right foot. As standard i dont think 50mpg is achievable every day with the YD. Its not quite as good on juice as the VAG stuff.

Earth strap on the gearbox that Rowdy suggested is a good one. Some have reported big improvements when fixed if it has come loose / sheared off.

The reset and cleaning of EGR, new fuel filter, run Forte injector cleaner plus that earth strap will all help your MPG. Try / check them all and see where you're at then. On the motorway you should be seeing an average of about 55mpg (just motorway miles mind).

I regularly get 48mpg without trying, can easily push 55-59mpg being gentle on the motorway, round town with plenty of stop go and MPG falls away drastically and I've seen my 48mpg overal tank figure after say half a tank of fuel end up at 34.5mpg :eek: if I've suffered a lot of traffic during that day :(
They (or mine) seems very thristy at low speeds or just sat in traffic, but then you must realise its a 2.2 ltr I suppose

^yeah I find that. Really not an around town only kind of car, but great on the motorway. However the mods I have done to mine have great improved this. Standard I used to struggle to maintain an overall average day to day of more than 42. With the mods it was easy to keep it steady at 43-44, and with standalone along trips reaching 57.

I must just drive really fast, I think the most ive seen is 47mpg and that was all motorway, on vpower Nitro+ too.

Back
Top Bottom