Hello

I just dropped by to introduce myself and say hi to all. I've owned a few Almera 2.0 GTI's that I've raced on grass (that's the stuff lawns are made of not what is smoked) Anyway I've been suitably impressed by the performance of them that I decided to stick an SR20DE motor in the back of a class 9 autograss special I'm building and have run up against the problem of the NATS2. So I got to wondering if there's anyone who lives down south, that can offer any advice on how to get shot of the NATS, and get it running. Or even better, anyone that lives down south that fancies wiring it up for me in exchange for, petrol money, sausage butties, tea, and the kudos. I'd even go so far as letting you race it in the mechanics race., so come on guys and gals, anyone up for it? Cheers, Tom.IMG00239-20121204-1456.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00135-20120719-1646.jpg
    IMG00135-20120719-1646.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG00136-20120719-1646.jpg
    IMG00136-20120719-1646.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 51
Welcome Tom, awesome project :) I can't help I'm afraid but you can bet someone will along shortly who can. I know people have gotten around NATS ECUs but you can also buy import ECUs that have no NATS in the first place!

If I can get this thing up and running I hope to start building a few so maybe you can my friend

A copy of the plans will do ;)

There is a little Autograss track up the road from me (Hunmanby) I've always wanted a shot at it!

Liam will sort you out, he's a go to guy when it comes to shit like this, the kids cleverer than he knows!

Good luck with it.

I'll be interested to see how you sort the gear linkage, will it be a case of just having the change pattern back to front?

Welcome Tom, awesome project :) I can't help I'm afraid but you can bet someone will along shortly who can. I know people have gotten around NATS ECUs but you can also buy import ECUs that have no NATS in the first place!
Thanks for the welcome and the advice on import ECU's, but I race on a budget, and you can bet that she holds those purse strings very tight, so buying new stuff is nigh impossible. The major bonus I have, and in fact the only reason I am able to race at all, is that my son works at Charles Trent, which is one of the largest breakers in the country, so I get all the parts at a discount. So I'm down to trying to get around the NATS2, and also fig out which wires I need to run into and out of the ECU, so that I can cut the wiring down to a bare minimum. I appreciate the reply though, thanks.

A copy of the plans will do ;)

There is a little Autograss track up the road from me (Hunmanby) I've always wanted a shot at it!

Liam will sort you out, he's a go to guy when it comes to shit like this, the kids cleverer than he knows!

Good luck with it.

I'll be interested to see how you sort the gear linkage, will it be a case of just having the change pattern back to front?

What gives you the idea that there's a plan? I'm just gluing bits on that look about right o_O As for the gear linkage, I have no idea at the moment that's a job to look at once I get the engine married to the chassis, it maybe a case of stick it in second, and ride the clutch to get it mobile. Second is the right gear for the track I race at, and once its going it'll be okay. We also race over 10 to 15 laps so that will give time to catch up if I get left at the start, I'll just be screwed if I need reverse. :)

IIRC for the NATS to work you'll need the ECU and the matching chip from inside the key. The signal is picked up by the transponder ring around the ignition barrel

IIRC for the NATS to work you'll need the ECU and the matching chip from inside the key. The signal is picked up by the transponder ring around the ignition barrel
Thanks for the reply, but I already know this, I'm trying to ditch as much of the wiring loom as I can, because the more I have connected, the more there is to go wrong. For that reason I'm after a mod to the original ecu to get rid of the NATS altogether, but thanks anyway. Cheers, Tom.

You can suppisedly remove nats, i tried but it failed. In the end i made up a small loom (13 or so wires) to run the nats system. You could wire it all in and leave the chip on the transponder ring and put all the wiring/parts inside a nice water tight plastic tub or sort.

Iirc chunky is running a de-nats ecu but he had to pay a premium because it was 2 weeks before racewars.

It can be removed, my ecu and two others I know of have had it removed with no issues at all

I suppose I should really get my ecu out and get some pictures and compare to see whats been removed/linked out so everyone can have the benefit if they like?!

....phone....

Back
Top Bottom