help please!! starter motor location

As above! can someone please tell me where the starter motor is? i've taken off the air box and i cant bloody find the thing!! doh

down below the inlet manifold, at left of gearbox as you look into the bay. There's 2 big bolt heads from the gearbox casing that hold it on.

There's also a metal support bar from the inlet manifold that get's in the way of the starter motor a bit - so find that bar, and find the starter! :lol:

Dub, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!!

Then, from under the car, find the O/S driveshaft bearing that bolts to the block, look to the left of it (towards g/box), there will be a gap between the bearing, the engine cradle & the front sub-frame, with just the shatf going across, in this gap there SHOULD be a black bar coming down from the inlet manifold @ a slight diagonal, undo the bottom bolt (the top one is a TOTAL BITCH to get at), & swing it out of the way, now, directly in front of you, you should see a corrugated wire sheath, going into a big black plastic cover, this is the starter, move the plastic & you should see a shiny copper nut holding a terminal on, remove this, the starter is now disconnected, all you have to do now is remove the 2 bolts holding it on.

Now working from above, remove the entire intake pipe work & resonator box (makes things a LOT easier), you should now see 2 pipes on the side of the block, running horizontally above the g/box, right at the back of the block, behind/below these pipes, you should see a bulge in the top of the g/box housing with 2 bolts diagonally opposed to each other, these are the bolts you need to remove.

Be warned though, the top one is relatively easy to get out, the bottom one however, (I`ve found) is a lot easier to remove with a universal joint on the socket & an extension bar, as the aforementioned horizontal pipework gets in the way. :rolleyes:

Another thing: when re-fitting, make sure you have someone under the car to hold it in place, if not, you need to piss about with string, lassood `round the solenoid, then tied `round the A/C pipes to hold the fucker in while you get the bolts started (top one 1st ;) ).

If anyone wants to move this to the `How To` section, feel free. :)

Thanks guys for the help! Ended up ringing damien in the site n drove half way cross the country for him to help me, had a bit of crack but by god what the hellwere Nissan thinking putting it there, got the new part fitted n a few other little bits sorted by damien! Thanks very much lads for the help!

Starter sounds so much better now

Thanks guys for the help! Ended up ringing damien in the site n drove half way cross the country for him to help me, had a bit of crack but by god what the hellwere Nissan thinking putting it there, got the new part fitted n a few other little bits sorted by damien! Thanks very much lads for the help!

Starter sounds so much better now

and the speakers do too:eek: such a hack wiring job was done on them

Gah, after about 30 minutes trying to match up the nice clear Haynes shots of the starter with the reality of the engine bay, having removed the intake pipes etc etc, I signed up to this forum to ask for help ... a quick search - and no wonder I couldn't find the damn thing! Cheers for posting details to dub_almera guys and ESPECIALLY for the pic, Out Of Sight.

Is this actually reasonably do-able for a car-owning virgin who's comfortable wielding a spanner, or should I leave this to the professionals?

With the right tools you should be able for it, if you have a friend to help out that's always helpful! Good luck with it n post up any questions you have!

Gah, after about 30 minutes trying to match up the nice clear Haynes shots of the starter with the reality of the engine bay, having removed the intake pipes etc etc, I signed up to this forum to ask for help ... a quick search - and no wonder I couldn't find the damn thing! Cheers for posting details to dub_almera guys and ESPECIALLY for the pic, Out Of Sight.

Is this actually reasonably do-able for a car-owning virgin who's comfortable wielding a spanner, or should I leave this to the professionals?

the fact that you have a haynes indicates you have a 1.4 or a 1.6.

if this is the case.

how do you miss the starter which is on top of the gearbox, in plain sight?

Er, it's a 1.5 (and yes the Haynes is for a 1.5 too). Its not exactly in plain sight, you can't see it without either getting right under the vehicle or, if you take the inlet pipework off you can basically see one corner of the top of it.

Took flippin ages to get the bolts undone cause there isn't a lot of access to get the leverage, but all done now.

Thanks guys for help and encouragement, sure I'll be back!

Back
Top Bottom