HELP please.

S

scdavis

two things really, your input would be much appriecieated. I have a n16 1.8sport on a 2000 plate with about 75000miles on the clock.

1) when the aircon is on are the fans on the rad meant to be on?? coz mine isnt :( also their seems to be no gas in the pipes (so gonna get it filled up 2moz after work for the weekend)

2) my engine light appeared a few days ago (but car hasnt been driving really). its not running lumpy as if its mis-firing.
the sparks, pollen filter, air filter and an oil change has been done recently so shouldnt been them. ive done the turn engine on and pull off the electrics on the coil one at a time to see if they are firing (if it goes lumpy then its working) and its all fine.

ive got a feeling that it could be to do with the engine getting hot (as the fan doesnt seem to work when the aircon is on) but ive checked the relays and fuses for them and they are fine.
if i cant solve it im gonna get a diagnostics check but they cant do it till mid nxt week :(

please help lil me.

thanks
cant figure out what mite have caused the light to appear, and no-one can look at the car before nxt week (and im meant to be driving to JAE)

You can likely get the diagnostic code yourself..

1) Switch Ignition to 'on' (do not start engine)
2) Locate the OBD diagnostics port (under shelf below steering wheel).
3) Connect the bottom, farthest left and farthest right contacts with a bit of wire (small paperclip will do), remove after three seconds.
4) Engine warning light will flash up to two diagnostic codes (10 flashes for a zero, there's a pause between each 4-digit code).
5) Turn ignition off.
6) Post code(s) here for someone to look up or search online.
7) Investigate/fix reported fault or book into a garage and let them know what the code was.
8) Pay £15 to join the AOC, you won't regret it.
9) When the fault is fixed clear the fault code, it'll likely clear itself in time but I'll tell you how to do it manually if you complete step 8 ;)

I've done this a good few times and it's saved me a pile of cash in charges for diagnostics with no problems but use this advice at your own risk.

there was a recall on the N16 because of a camshaft sensor i think. when i had mine serviced they checked to make sure mine had been changed, worth a try i think. could be that.

how do u know if its been changed danny?

wraith: is that a safe option tho? at the mo its just a constant light (so surely means there is no fault, just means resetting??)

its booked in to a local garage to reset and test on wed just dont want it to go wrong on way to JAE tomoz.

think im gonna become a member, looks like a good idea (plus gonna be here for a while me thinks)

oh btw i got the aircom regassed (as it had none in the system) and now the fan works - load off my mind :)

It's a safe enough option as you have the same make and model as I have - that procedure is straight from the service manual and has always worked for me.

A constant light means a fault has been registered by the ECU and has not yet been cleared. The fault may or may not have gone away.
The warning light can be cleared using the diagnostic tool (or the aforementioned paperclip with a bit of fiddling) or by driving for a certain time without the fault recurring (could be up to 40 or so trips similar to the one in which the fault was recognised) but once cleared the light will come back on if the fault is still there.

The warning light will only flash when driving (as far as I know) if the ECU spots a fault that may damage the engine if you continue to drive.
Basically with the engine running..
warning light on = get it checked in a garage.
warning light flashing = get it towed to a garage.

if you want to reset the ECU its easy on the OBD-II's just pull the + off he battery and leave it off for about 10-30 mins and then put it back and it works again

my car was not running right as I was trying to find the tacho meter wire I think I shorted it out some where and then the car was running but the rev's build up very slow so I pulled the + off the battery and waited for about 30 mins and then it worked again :)

could be cam and or crank sensors, if your car has not had the recall i wouldnt be surprised if it is still entitled to it, i have an x plate sport and i have just done mine under a recall.

could also b a stretched timing chain, the QG18DE engine is kinda prone to this - the fault can come up as a crank or cam sensor fault even when its the chain, although i would be investigating sensors first as the chain is a costly repair,

well ive gotta say wraith it worked :)

the light has gone out and ur right it flashed up sum lights but i didnt understand it lol

will the light not come back on until / if the fault happens again??

i just looked at the paperwork and its registered in 2001 so might just squeeze it in IF it needs it

it occasionally feels like its misfiring (even tho its now) and a bit underpowered / hesitant which makes me think its probably the MAF (or known as Throttle Chamber to nissan)

gonna still get it checked out, just to be on the safe side

It shouldn't have cleared the fault light unless after step four you shorted the terminals again, waited for two seconds then removed the connector.

In any case the light will come on again if the fault occurs again so take it easy the next few drives and if it does come back on best get it looked at.

The hesitancy could be caused by almost anything.

*whistles*

nothing happened the 1st time of doing it so i tried again and it wasnt until i started the car that the light flashed and went out,

like i said gonna get it checked on monday or wednesday but as im driving 2 JAE tomoz gonna see if anything happens - comes up (and taking the paperclip) lol

see you down there

My light was on a few wekks ago, took it to the garage, code flashed up was lambda sensor, changed that, and now it's back on again a week later and the car feels flat again like the lambda sensor has gone again :(

Schnakey said:
My light was on a few wekks ago, took it to the garage, code flashed up was lambda sensor, changed that, and now it's back on again a week later and the car feels flat again like the lambda sensor has gone again :(

hmm i doubt it will have, although you never know. was it a nissan one? or a universal one? could be a choked cat, not sure if that would put the light on tho! any fluff comming out your exhaust at all, and can you feel the beat of the engine when you put ur hand near the end of the exhaust. however the fact that it dissapeared for a while seems strange if it is indeed a choked exhaust.

Tis a nissan one, checked it on the multimeter and all is well with the lambda. No fluff from the exhaust or anything, and it feels/sounds the same as it always has.

Looks like I'll have to take it to a proper nissan place to get it put on the cumputer, which I'm assuming won't be cheap. Tried the method wraith slapped up but the light just stayed on constant, didnt seem to work for me. Also tried darren's suggestion of pulling off the battery overnight and all it did was reset my radio stations and clock, and the light stayed on :(

it worked on mine 1st time.

did u turn the ignition off and back on after to get the fault code, if u do it 2times in a row the light gets removed as i found out lol

paid £40 to get my light reset and fault so could resolve it.
most local garages will do it for u and alot cheaper than nissan directly.

regarding cam and crnk sensors, if they have been changed there should be a blob of paint on them

Back
Top Bottom