Hi in new and after an Almera dci :)

Hi, im currently saving up for a turbo diesel that's practical enough to put my mountain bike in the back of and have a gut load of reliable torque. I've stumbled across the almera dci 136 and im impressed, especially by the price of them these days! I've not bought a dci yet, but I'm definitely interested in getting one in a few months and I'm just weighing up my options tuning-wise. I want to buy a turbo diesel I can slowly upgrade over time and that I know will take some half decent boost. The almera seems ideal and coming from a 200sx background I've always had a soft spot for nissans. Last car was a mk2 golf Tdi running 180bhp 300 lbs/ft but being such an old car it was crap round the bends and I kept having little problems with it. I'm not a fully paid up member so can't see all the threads just yet. Can't really justify the £16 considering I've not even bought the car yet. I've read edk's project thread from start to finish and from what I've read it sounds like getting good reliable power from the YD22 is very simple. Perfect :)

Reactions: edk
Welcome along. Good car the dci. Am sure someone with first-hand experience will be able to give you some advice.

Welcome to the club mate. Hope u do get the dci and if you do, you plan on modifying it. Always good to add more to the fold. As you've read my thread (quite a feat, well done), you know what's possible. The technical sections hold loads of specifics about tuning the engine and chassis and now is a good time as a few new options are available to us, turbo wise and handling. A helical limited slip diff for one and a GT1856V turbo, soon leading to even larger for that 250bhp target.

In the mean time hope u enjoy the forums :)

Ed

-phone-

I'm considering it. Mine needs a fair bit of work to get it back to what I'd call a decent standard, but from what you've said most of the problems I had with it will be fixed with modifications! ;)

I'm looking for £500 for the car, it's done 102k and does need some TLC but if you're interested drop me a PM and we'll talk more.

James.

Holy crap James, that's a low price! Didn't even realise you were selling up. Even with fitting a hybrid turbo and remap on top that's a bargain for the car :)

Decided to leave James' car, even though it is a complete bargain! Will wait longer and get the spec I want.

Could someone advise me on tuning boxes please? It'll just be a temporary measure when I do get the car. Firstly I've heard the DPT tuning boxes seem the best for the dci, but I can get PSI tuning boxes through where I work (probably at trade price) and wondered if anyone has any experience / heard any results as to how they perform on the YD22 or even similar engines? Secondly, what performance gains have people got out of the DPT unit fitted? Bhp / torque / mpg..

Any help on that would be great, thanks!

Dont think anyone has used a PSI box before. Worth a try if u can get cheap, but only if its a clever one.

I got 148bhp with no other mods. MPG increased a small amount. Torque I will dug out the dyno to check but it is posted on the forum.

As long as you understand the limitations of a tuning box and what they do then they're ok. Never expect amazing results. The only great ones are not really tuning boxes but actually flash maps on to.the ECU. We can't do that on ours, ECU wont let it.

For the price though they suit. Just dont get those cheapy ebay crap boxes.

-phone-

Cheers Ed. Thats a good bhp result just from a tuning box! A torque figure would be great if you could get hold of that for me :)

I wouldn't really want to be the first to try the PSI box. I really don't know much about them and would much prefer to just get a DPT, something that's been tried and tested and has high recommendations already.

Yeah the DPT one works, and can be tweaked by a tuner if you wish. It only does fuel pressure, but it manipulates it intelligently.

-phone-

Hiya chaps. I'm back! And still majorly thinking about getting an almera dci. I've since got a mortgage so money's been tight. Looking to get something shortly though! Options are skoda fabia - map it 165bhp lovely jubbly, lupo tdi mapped again (bit different) - mega cheap to run, bit worried it might not be big enough for me & my mountain bike to travel about in though.

Max 3k to spend really

Can an almera be had and enough money left over for turbo, map, Intercooler, possible suspension & wheels etc? Actually what am I on about, course it can, but I'll never get that money back if you know what I mean. It would be a bit of project.

Edk obviously did a lot of research into different turbo options and tbh I don't want crazy power, just useable power with good low down torque. Are there any other options out there turbo wise? Obviously the oem turbo is fairly weak but is there something else similar worth thinking about or is the hybrid edk originally went with the best you can get?? Can't remember which turbo it was now.

Thanks

Also EDK - You mentioned it was a GT1856V turbo. Is that the exact same turbo that is being used on the Mercedes E270 CDi W211?? If so, surely a second hand low mileage unit might be more cost effective. How much are they new out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom