I hate NATS!

This short story is a totally silly thing and a simple design fault by nissan, so i was just wondering if im the only dick who has done it, or atleast brave enough to admitting doing it...

Right, ive just got home after standing for two hours in the rain at a petrol station waiting for the RAC to arrive whilst i watched my car with its engine running, lights on and cd player going...
You must be wondering WFT!
My thoughts exactly aswell!

Put simply i locked my self out!
BUT its so easily done its the 2nd time since ive owned it!

The 1st time was xmas time, i was meant to be driving up north to visit relatives so thought id check the fluid levels oil etc before leaving, unlocked the car, left the keys on the seat popped the bonnet and went around, shut the boor and bonnet and realised the keys were on the seat, went to open the door and i was locked out! :mad:
Tried my spare fobs and the batteries were flat!!!

Got the RAC out who said it was a bitch to get in to BUT after 20mins managed to pop the catch...

Tonight went to a petrol station on the way home as one of my tiers was a bit flat, left the car runing whilst i ran around... went to jump back in locked out!!
BEST bit is, i had locked my wallet (inc RAC membership card) and phone in the car... FUCKED springs to mind!
Went in the garage, phone home got the old man to come down with spare fobbs, and they wouldnt work! (replaced batteries btw after last time)... i assume this is a NATS over protective thing assuming obvoiusly your in the car with everything runing hence y u locked the door and dont want anyone to get in!

2hours later the RAC arrive to carry out the same thing again...

My conclusion is, and the only thing i can think of is that the car doesnt lock me out but in actualy fact when i pull the door handle the back of my hand pushes the internal saftey lock just enough to lock the whole car down when i shut the door.
Anywho, i was left feeling a total dick stood in the rain whilst i had to tell people "sorry cant use the air and water machine as im a cock and locked my self outa the car with everything running"! lol.

I even found some lad in an Si with 'L' plates who kindly tried his non-NATS key in a desperate attempt it would unlock the door...'thanks if hes on here'.

Anyway moral of the story and more importantly note to self... never leave the keys in the car when exiting, or always check the internal catches before shutting the doors.

Rant over :rolleyes:

dont worry mate loads of people done this, including me.
from what i've read it's possibly moisture in the locking machanism or solenoid or summin.

mine locks all the time on impact of closin the door or whatever, whether i'm in the car or not.

i'm sure someone said they took it apart and dried it ff and fixed the problem.

even this mornin, got in the car, shur the door and heard the locking mechanism go, pain in the arse, especially wen ur outside at the time!!

Might be worthwhile getting a spare key cut and keeping it in your pocket. Not a NATS key just a standard one. Or get one cut anyway and keep it at your dad's.

Ivan

never had this problem with my old GX. so when you open the door and close the door it locks itself after so long ?

the only time when my car (n16) locks itself is when I start up the engine and 30 secs later it locks itself. every time I leave the keys in the igntion I leave the window open or if there is someone in the car. merc's are cleaver. if you hop out it won't lock if you hope in it won't lock but it locks itself if your traveling past 5mph

i got locked out last winter, got the AA out to break in.. i changed the solinoids in doors and that did cure it for a while, but its back again now so im extra carfull.
like said, get a spare key(which i havnt) or just leave your keys in your hand.
ill put my old solinoids in one day as hopfully there dry..

Hmm thanks ppl, so might not be me being a plonker and hitting the catch each time.. might just need some moisture penatrating lube on the catches...:cool:
Putting in new door speakers the weekend so will take a look then me finks.
Will also get another blank (non-nats) key cut in the mean time, to keep at home or sumin.
Cheers for your replies.

Yeah its a bitch, and this does happen on most of the N15's, people have fixed theirs by squirting WD40 in the harness connection that goes through your door, and/or on the solanoids. It didnt fix mine but I got a complete harness and new solanoids, fitted them and its been fine since.

Done it twice in my old Si in the space of 2 weeks. AA guy had to bend door at the top, slip in bit of metal to try catch the boot release so had to climb in that way. So paranoid now so always leave window down if im leaving keys in the ignition. Rick did it aswell and had to go to a pub and ask for a hammer to smash his window to get in lol!

NaylorGTI said:
Yeah its a bitch, and this does happen on most of the N15's, people have fixed theirs by squirting WD40 in the harness connection that goes through your door, and/or on the solanoids. It didnt fix mine but I got a complete harness and new solanoids, fitted them and its been fine since.
did you buy the solinoids new from nissan? fuck me how expensive... i got second hand ones, greased them up and WD40 but it came back :mad:

Defo not alone on this, done it loads of times but av always ad the spare key to get in.

I've got a clifford alarm that has that thing on that locks the doors when u start the engine which is bloody annoying. When i changed the battery on my car its cocked up the alarm system so now the locks flick all over the place, they lock you in without the engine being starterd and when you flick the lock to get out they flick themselves locked straight away! You end up trying to out pace the lock by flicking it open and quickly swinging the door open before it locks again! Its going to catch me out one day!

Hmm interesting, obviously a few things that can cause it then, but all points to crap solenoids and/or electrics in the doors.
Mines locked me out twice now as i sed the 1st time the RAC used a piece of wire down the inside of the door to flick that crappy little catch, yesterday as everything was on and running etc he just pressed the drivers window button down.
Car was like a sauna when i got in finally, had been sat running for two hours with the heater on full blast! lol, even my solid metal gearknob was bloody hot!

I think ill try the solenoids etc in the door 1st, spray sum lubey juice around them... but from now on im never leaving the keys in the car when im not!

Luckily my car doesnt have this problem, but i have a clifford alarm which locks the doors after 3 seconds (if the engine is off).

I locked my keys in the car on friday....with the keys in the ignition in Tescos car park :)

Had to leave it for about 3 hours till my mum could bring the spare key fob thing in for me to open it.

On another note, WHY oh WHY isnt there a handle to open the boot on the lid itself?!!!
This should still allow you to get in through that way even if the doors are locked...that would iradicate you ever gettin in this situation.

oxideGTi said:
On another note, WHY oh WHY isnt there a handle to open the boot on the lid itself?!!!
This should still allow you to get in through that way even if the doors are locked...that would iradicate you ever gettin in this situation.

suppose it stops you leavin the car with the boot unlocked or summin, know wot you mean tho

That is another small ennoyance i find, as my rear shelf with speakers pulls the boot shut, so if you dont literally lift it all the way to the point where the struts are maxed out it will shut again, meaning you have to walk back round and pull that catch on the inside of the seat/door. Grr. ok now im just niggling. lol.

No your too lazy to walk round to the handle mate! Lol

I no what you mean, the whole system could be better but its a small price to pay for an awesome car! All modern cars seem to have this system on where the doors lock themselves when you start the engine- it so piss's me off, i no its safety to stop car jacking and stuff but bloody hell on older cars the option is there that if you do want to be locked in your car you just flick the lock!

I think its more dangerous because how many times av u quickly stopped in a dangerous place on the road for a mate to quickly jump in only to find they cant get in cos the bloody doors have locked themselves!

My mums Audi is the worst, you av to pull off some bloody SOS code on the key fob just to let a passenger in!

had the same probs with mine fella ,just moisture in the solinodes(spelling) dry them out and wd40 them should be ok,i used to pull the boot flip beside the seat if i was just popping out of the car at garage/shops ect just incase it locked :D

kewl will try this thanks.
Yeah knowing my luck sumone would see me do it and steal all the stuff outa my car whilst i was away.lol. :rolleyes:

truckingracer said:
had the same probs with mine fella ,just moisture in the solinodes(spelling) dry them out and wd40 them should be ok,i used to pull the boot flip beside the seat if i was just popping out of the car at garage/shops ect just incase it locked :D

rhyd4 said:
did you buy the solinoids new from nissan? fuck me how expensive... i got second hand ones, greased them up and WD40 but it came back :mad:

I think when nissan did a 'recall' they replaced the lot and it was more down to the connection and the wiring than down to the solanoids.(I say recall lightly as they only fixed the ones where people took them back and complained and then only some, mine done it from day bloody one and had it back countless times and they'd just say, well it hasnt done it for us so we cant do anything.)
anyway i got the lot out of a car that had the recall done as I knew the owner and its been fine since, I only put up with it for about 7 years lol, in the end when I was driving it was just going lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, its bloody hard to get in to, as when you unlocked it with the fob, if it didnt lock itself straight away again, it would when you started to lift the door handle.

That wuda drove me crazy!
My pug did this but that was because the loom in the drivers door broke up. In the end i found it was going to cost me so much to fix, i just disconnected the solenoids and locked it on the key everytime.

Back
Top Bottom