if you brought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-PULSAR...ryZ10402QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

say you brought that, what else (other than a fmic) would you need to be able to fit it to a gti? assuiming the manifold ect came with it. also how much would it cost for a company to fit a new engine? is it hard to do your self? would i have to register the car as a turbo almera or almera gti-r? i'd only be planning on going up to about 250bhp so i wouldn't need any forged piston ect but would my current gearbox be ok though? do you have to get the car re-mot'd? im not planning on buying this but im looking into possibly doing it next summer. also would it be cheaper to just turbo my engine?

cheers

Damn thats cheap!!
You would need the DET engine, wiring loom and ECU, your existing gearbox and a quality clutch as the bare minimum...

You'd need (as has been discussed many times, as you would have seen had you done a search) at least:

GTiR Engine.
GTi loom
GTi Distributor
GTi sensors, knock sensor, oil sender and maybe o2 sensor
GTiR MAF
GTi ECU with Greddy Emanage mapped to run.
Front mount intercooler (or a bonnet that can take the top mount.)
uprated engine mounts(i havn't done this but others say to do it.
Uprated clutch
GTi gearbox(apprently not the strongest but ive had no probs with mine)
Uprated fuel pump
Bigger brakes are advised, i havn't as yet.
Custom exhaust from downpipe, all the way back.

Yeah you'd need to tell the insurance and ideally the DVLA as well

so really if i brought that or preferably a crash damaged gti-r and an uprated clutch, Greddy management, possibly uprated engine mounts then that would be all i'd need for the conversion?
i know id need to tell the dvla, insurance ect but was just woundering what it would have to be registerd as.

cheers

you wouldn't have to change what it is registerd as, regardless of what engine it would still be a nissan almera gti,

if you were trying to do it on a budget i would of thought the best route to go down would be to buy a damaged gti-r and swap every thing over inc the loom and ecu, you would lose nats though,
the only 'new' parts you would really need would be the down pipe/exhaust & a fuel pump, (unless the gti-r one would fit the almera's tank, i'm not sure)

it prob would be cheaper to turbo your de engine but you wouldn't be able to get the same power out of it with out spending load's, :)

oh i figured the gti-r fuel pump would fit. why would you lose nats though?
what would i need then to turbo the de and how hard would it be to get it to about 250bhp?

doml89 said:
oh i figured the gti-r fuel pump would fit. why would you lose nats though?
what would i need then to turbo the de and how hard would it be to get it to about 250bhp?

Simple explination NATS is run by the Chip in your key! As the GTi-R never came with it it wont work!

K33ELV have you gotta ball park figure on how much your looking at to do the whole job, assuming you didnt rebuild anything, just swapped it straight in?

I believe its built into the ECU, so by swapping for a GTi-R ecu, it'll lose it.

Should be able to get an aftermarket immobiliser/alarm if you wanted one though

Guys do your own home work this comes up once a week.

There is no one simple way to turbo your car. Most fail, few have success.

rowdy-GTi said:
Guys do your own home work this comes up once a week.

There is no one simple way to turbo your car. Most fail, few have success.

turboing the de engine or swapping for a gti-r engine?

Either. I've lost count of the amount of times people say 'drop a DET in there' when I talk about my GTi project. There really isnt a lot of point unless you're skilled enough to do it reliably or have the cash to pay someone else to do it.
Just look at the amount of trouble and money used by users 'si2001', jme_gti' and 'th3k3ym4st3r' on the same car. Ragt20 has a turbo GTi but has spent a shedload of cash on it.
Things like fuel tank swirl pots, fuel management systems, standalone engine management, mounts, weight, traction, LSDs, suspension, all have to be taken into account. If you're putting down 250bhp through the front two wheels without any form of traction control or LSD, and on standard suspension or lowering springs, it isnt going to drive easy. Also you had better take out shares in TOYO or something as you might start chewing up tyres.

Yep, look where ive ended up with my Si, over a year later and i still aint got mine sorted.

I basically thought yea bolt on job, peice of piss..

The best advise i could give is to keep researching, all the info is out there.
You need to be absolutely 100% sure what your doing and whats involved to get a setup that works.

This was my big mistake, i thought i knew everything and jumped straight in there,
and boy has this project proved me wrong. Ive made silly errors that have cost me big time.

Basic turbocharging knowledge wont cut it.

Im still learning now..

If i knew the grief it was gonna cause me, i wouldnt have bothered.

My original budget was £1000, im now well into £2000+ because i didnt didnt enough research and planning, and as a result lots of money has been wasted.

and there was me thinking it would be quite a simple conversion lol. think im gonna leave it then. hopefully will get a s14a next year if not the year after, just depends on insurance really.

Back
Top Bottom