Immobiliser lamp lit

Help needed desparately!!
My daughter has a 2003 Nissan Almera 1.5S petrol RHD. It stalled and will not start. It turns over as usual. When the ignition is turned on the immobiliser lamp blinks 6 times and the stays lit.
The radiator cooling fan comes on when the lamp is lit.

I cannot read any errors because my EasyOBD II reader says
Vehicle Data Bus OK
No Vehicle Response/Connection or Power

The clue may be in the fact that the faults cannot be read because the K-line is held low. With the ignition on, between pin7 (K-line) and pin 5 (signal ground ) on the diagnostic socket I have 2.7V not 12V

I thought that perhaps the immobiliser may have been damaged and a firm said to send it to them for repair. I have it off the car. Before posting it off I thought I would run EasyOBD again. Without the immobiliser, the lamp still flashes 6 times and then stays on, and the fans still run until I disconnect the cables.
Perhaps it isn’t the immobiliser or maybe the feed to it is down.
The central locking works fine so I presume the key is OK. If it is the key why would the fans run?
I hope someone can suggest something

Last edited:
I checked the voltage between the K-line and the ground when the fan cables are disconnected and it was the same, 2.7V not 12V. Please help as we are stranded in the sticks with no autoelectrician who knows anything about Nissans in the area

Someone suggested reprogramming my only key
I used the following procedure

1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds.

2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch.

3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice.

4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip.

5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times.

6. Release the unlock button.

7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming.

8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key’s.

9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times.

10. Remove key, and check all plip key’s for operation.

Unfortunately I don't get 7 but do get 9 so no change.

Am I doing something wrong?
Any other suggestions?

NOTE : The programming mode will stop when either the ignition is switch ON, 4 plip keys have been programmed or no input signal either from the switch or plip keys has been received for 120 seconds.

Still immobilised.
The current position is
My daughter has a 2003 Nissan Almera 1.5S petrol RHD. It stalled and will not start. It turns over as usual. When the ignition is turned on the immobiliser lamp blinks 6 times and the stays lit. It doesn’t go off after 15 min so no fault in the dongle.
Clues:
Immobiliser lamp lit
The radiator cooling fans come on when the lamp is lit. See diagram showing feed from the engine ecu.
I cannot read any errors because my EasyOBD II reader says
Vehicle Data Bus OK
No Vehicle Response/Connection or Power
If there are any faults they cannot be read because the K-line is held low. With the ignition on, between pin7 (K-line) and pin 5 (signal ground) on the diagnostic socket I have 2.7V not 12V
See last line.

I thought that perhaps the immobiliser may have been damaged and a firm said to send it to them for repair. I have it off the car. Before posting it off I thought I would run EasyOBD again. It still flashes 6 times and then stays on, and the fans still run until I disconnect the cables. I checked the voltage between the K-line and the ground when the fan cables are disconnected and it was the same, 2.7V not 12V. Perhaps it isn’t the immobiliser or maybe the feed to it is down. No change to 1 or 3 if either or both the cooling fan fuses are removed, or if the cooling fan relay is removed, or the coolant sensor disconnected.

The central locking works fine so I presume the key is OK.
Why would the fans run?
Why would the starter not turn now – no click or sign of life?

Someone suggested reprogramming my only key, but it didn’t work for me.

Note: The starter did turn over well and the battery is fully charged. Now nothing happens when I move the key on to start. The headlights don’t dim when the starter is turned fully on
I have no feedback here and none of the national or local auto-electricians seem to have a clue. Looking at the following diagrams it seems to me an ecu internal fault for the fans and perhaps this has taken the k-line low. The starter did spin but now doesn't suggests a fault in the SECU not the fuse J11 feeding the ignition switch as the other lines on the ignition switch are OK. Why me?
Any comments welcome
AlmeraWiring1.png

I am going by my own diagnosis. Am confident that when the replacement set of engine ecu, Entrance control unit, immobiliser and IMMU arrives the car will work again. Apart from the angst for the total price of £60 it will be solved - and I get two keys for the first time.
For the record, if your cooling fans come on when you turn the ignition on suspect the ecu

Pays not to be confident with cars. Made no difference - all the faults are the same
Hope someone can help

Hi. I am experiencing the same problem with my Almera. Radiator fan runs when the ignition is on and the car does not start. Immobilizer icon is present.
Any help is deeply appreciated!

(harness connectors and cables have been visually checked and I have a set of two keys - none are working)

I'd suggest that the ECU is fried for whatever reason. The fans spinning could be some sort of engine protection. NATS can't communicate with a brick, hence the immobilizer light flashing.

On other makes, an aftermarket radio would pull the K-line low and mess with the car.

@ItsMe did you get the problem fixed?

I am having the same issue, but it came up to this state gradually. I replaced the ECU with a good know spare, the issue remains.
The key chip doesn't need to be changed if you replace the ECU (the immobiliser is not in the ecu, i tested this)

Back
Top Bottom