Is it possible to play mp3 in an Almera?

Hi everyone. I have a 2004 almera and it has the radio and heater controls in one unit with the screen display above and the seperate cd player below (as i'm sure you all know!)

My question is what are my options for getting it to play mp3's? I have had afew thorts but not looked into them yet, like are there any additional inputs on the back of the radio or cd player for inpit of an an ipod or even a mp3 multichanger? Or is it possible to get a direct replacement cd drive that will play mp3's?

I'm sure you guys have already found a way around it and any help/advice would be appriciated!

Many Thanks

Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro with Nav TV interface to the factory screen. It's pricey but effective, although no one to my knowledge has actually tried it. Nissan never made any options for us to even be able to play MP3 CDs unfortunatly :(. Acording to the FSM there are Aux pins in the loom but no actual connection to plug into, i.e. phono.

Other than that you'd be looking at custom. Check out Darren's thread in the members section as he has moved the controls down into where the cubby hole and cd player are which has left a double-DIN space above. With that you can put in your own headunit then. I believe the ISO for the phase 1 (2000-2002) Almera works with the CD drive on the phase 2 (what you have) but I cannot confirm. If you don't have Sat Nav then you could try this. If you do have Sat Nav then you could move the nav drive backwards to leave space (what I intend to do), as you rarely need to access the disc in the drive (Nissan not being very efficent with space there!!).

I hope that helps and puts you in the right driection :). Oh and welcome to the club ;).

Darren's thread: http://www.almeraowners.com/showthread.php?t=26434&page=10

5.jpg

Saved me asking the same question :)

Surely the most cost effective way of playing mp3s in the N16, is by using an mp3 player coupled with an FM trip device or some such other thingamabob? :D

I do stand to be corrected tho' :D

Cheapest yes :), but you loose fidelity. If that's not a problem for you and you've got somewhere to keep the mp3 player then that's a win!

I must admit, I find the sound from the standard N16 stereo and speakers ..................dire! :(

With a pair of cheapish components in the front doors, does the sound quality improve any?

What quality? is the standard cd player?

Yeah they are poor. Strange because the qaulity of sound in my phase 1 N16 was LOADS better. The fronts arent great and the rears are made of tissue paper so I would guess that better speakers would help greatly.

I havnt upgraded my own speakers yet as I'm doing performance stuff right now, but I intended to. I'd like to know how much the bad quality is down to the speakers or the headunit (or a bit of both) too.

i can say that the speakers in my phase 1 n16 are shockingly good for a stock speaker set up, it was ridiculously crap with the stock casette player that was in there originally, but since i added my kenwood usb/mp3 head unit, noticeably better!

Saved me asking the same question :)

Surely the most cost effective way of playing mp3s in the N16, is by using an mp3 player coupled with an FM trip device or some such other thingamabob? :D

I do stand to be corrected tho' :D

i work in an audio shop and we can get some quite decent ones of these.

most fm modulaters simply broadcast it on a channel, the ones we use have the car aerial going into it, then the aerial from that to the car, when the adapter needs to be used, all external aerial signals are cut and it simply plays the ipod. so you get very little interferance.

we put one in a maserati quateroporte (spelling?) and that guy has never complained, and he was a fussy cunt.

otherwise you'll be looking at something called a dension gateway

i can get you prices on either if you like?

edit - can also supply alpine headunits if you wish. lol

I spoke to an engineer at Clarion today, he confirmed that there is no Aux input lead available for the N16's Clarion CD unit, he suggested a good FM Modulator.

He also told me that the CD's power output is about 15W to 20W RMS, with a 4 ohm resistance. Best speakers for the unit would have to be 4 Ohm impedance and really no more than 80W to 100W power handling.

S'pose I'll have to go and spend some money now..........................

Andy

Further to this discussion...

XCarLink

IPod/IPhone interface that connects to teh CD Changer port and allows for direct connection to music (no FM modulation), and control of music via the OEM steering remote.

There is also a media slot/usb/analogue interface.

The product - http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=10

NPOC use on P12 (similar cd drive) - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-dci-xcarlink-install-help_topic35125.html

Only one thing I need to confirm now is that the N16's CD drive has a CD changer port! :) This find has made me a happy chap!

Thanks edk. I have already got this sorted. I found basically the same thing but made by connects2, abit cheaper aswell at 65 quid. The part number is CTANSUSB001 if anyone is interested. All installed and working perfectly for about a month now.
Should have given an update, sorry!

Thanks MiniMe :). I found the device by Connects 2 here - http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/6186.html, but there are loads of places selling the device, some for cheaper. Google search for them.

Also, for reference here is the back of a CD drive in a 2003 N16 SXE (with sat nav). You can see there is one socket spare, which I would guess is the CD multichanger port.

cddriveDSC01143.jpg

cddriveDSC01145.jpg

Attachments

• cddriveDSC01143.JPG
    cddriveDSC01143.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 23
  • cddriveDSC01145.JPG
    cddriveDSC01145.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 20
More info on the ability to use an aftermarket head unit/audio solution to the system here - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/newbie-with-body-kitted-p12_topic40708_post611886.html#611886

A chap on NPOC has done what seems to be the impossible and rewired the OEM stuff to keep the OEM screen and climate control function only, basically doing away with the OEM controls, and allowing him space to install after market audio. Seriously impressive.

Update?
More info on accessing the CD changer port would be great too as am looking at getting one of these, (with the bluetooth), for the wife's N16 Tino, (53 plate)...

I think all the info there is is in this thread and the other posted in today, so make sure you read them through :)

-phone-

Worth looking into parrot kits, not the cheapest way but really user friendly and a great piece of kit! You will gain handsfree aswell as iPod, mp3 and USB for around £175 with the sot lead you will need. Keeps everything looking standard too aside from the screen etc

Parrot may cover these Nissans but they're not the mainstream so it's less likely. Website says you need to contact them to see if they offer a solution.

Only limitation with parrot is whether you can get a sot lead, kit itself is as universal as you can get and just uses ISO leads, the sot lead converts the Nissan plug to ISO and then back to Nissan again to plug in to the radio

Can't say Iv come across a car they don't make a lead for yet, as its not parrot that make them (usually bought from auto leads etc), have fitted dozens in bmw's, merc's, audis etc etc

Xcarlink have agreed a 10% discount to members just key in discount code "almeraownersclub" at checkout, valid till Dec 25th... A little christmas pressie for anyone thinking about getting one!

(for completeness that makes it £76.50 delivered, next day, or £113.11 with the bluetooth)

@ edk > Have you got one of these in? Pictures are really great thanks, but is there access to the rear of the unit without pulling it from the dash, or is pulling the only option? (I know this is going to sound like a totally novice question, but I've only ever pulled oem and fitted after market audio into cars that were less ... awkward, ie din anyway. So how does one pull the CD, I mean I've not even had time really to take a look at it, and the job will go a whole lot quicker with advance guidance from someone who knows)

Back
Top Bottom