It's pretty quiet here, isn't it?

Hello everyone,

Just acquired a 2004 1.5 SE with 68,000 miles as a runabout. It drives wonderfully light and, coming from a 2-tonne Volvo, refreshing.

I'm used to looking for owners forums before making a car purchase; it was the other way this time around. I'm more about maintenance and getting a car as close to how it left the factory as possible, as opposed to modifications.

There seems to be a wealth of information here, despite being somewhat quiet. Hopefully, the forum will gain more traction in the future.

Cheers.

Yeah most people post on Facebook now. Shame because I still think forums are better to use for sharing info. As said though, lots of good info still here to be found.

Congrats on your new purchase

i have just purchased Albert the Almera. Albert is an elderly gent now with 110k miles on an 03 plate.

Albert was £400 with a years MOT, Albert is a no frills kind of guy and come in S varient

It’s like walking in the desert and finding another lifeform. I picked up a simple 05 plate 1.5 S for less than £400. seems to be the going rate for these uninspiring cars but who cares. The amount of space in the back has made me very happy when picking up large heavy items (too big for my 2 seater). I’m also really surprised at how well it handles.

It’s like walking in the desert and finding another lifeform. I picked up a simple 05 plate 1.5 S for less than £400. seems to be the going rate for these uninspiring cars but who cares. The amount of space in the back has made me very happy when picking up large heavy items (too big for my 2 seater). I’m also really surprised at how well it handles.
Same here ridic nice car for the money they are asking. almost no body sway on sharp corners and feels ridc solid and stuck on the road.

It's been almost a month since my purchase and I'm still enjoying my Almera. I'm looking to get some servicing done now, I think it's worth it.

I've been reading up the FSM and nissan4u and I'm listing here (for my own reference) of things needed:
  1. Engine oil - SAE 5W-30, API SG, SH, SJ or SL (I think you can get only the newer grades), not sure what brand yet. Any recommendations?
  2. Oil filter - Part no. 1520865F0A
  3. Air filter - Part no. 165463J400
  4. Spark plugs - NGK LFR5A-11
  5. Gearbox oil - API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-80 or exact equivalent.

A few issues plaguing:
  1. Air conditioning not cold and noisy compressor - I'm guessing it's bone dry in there. The belt has also seen better days (part no. 119209F610), as has the idler (part no. 1194731U03, quite pricey this!).
  2. Squeaky power steering belt, only once it gets warm - will be replacing with OEM (part no. 119509F610).
  3. There's a rattling somewhere at higher revs (> 2000 rpm), which I'm hoping is not the timing chain! Haven't had any starting issues or jerkiness, or an EML on yet. Could it be loose rust floating around in the cat? Or is there a heat shield loose somewhere?
  4. There's a weird front suspension screechy sound when going over bumps at speed; no idea what this is yet.
  5. Water in the spare wheel well, had to release the bung to get the water out; again, no idea how it got there.

I have the water in the spare wheel well

servicing wise i’m just going to stick oil and a filter on it. Won’t bother with plugs until it starts to misfire. Not worth spending money on.

think i read somewhere that there was approx 50 Almera's left on UK roads (not sure if true) i guess that could be to blame why its a bit quiet around here :confused:
hope you enjoy your Almera ! i still miss mine....

Reactions: edk
think i read somewhere that there was approx 50 Almera's left on UK roads (not sure if true) i guess that could be to blame why its a bit quiet around here :confused:

It's interesting. Once you own one, you start to notice them more on the road!

I was at my local ASDA and saw one identical to mine. Ice(?) blue, 54-plate with mudflaps too!

It's interesting. Once you own one, you start to notice them more on the road!

I was at my local ASDA and saw one identical to mine. Ice(?) blue, 54-plate with mudflaps too!
LOL I have ice blue, but 04, just gone through the 2nd MOT with me as the owner (tie rod ends replaced for the pass).

LOL I have ice blue, but 04, just gone through the 2nd MOT with me as the owner (tie rod ends replaced for the pass).
Ah, but does yours have mudflaps? lol.

Reading your other thread it appears you have a diesel. Good job keeping it maintained.

I just replaced the power steering belt on mine due to it squeaking.

Haha Yeah I picked mine up for £700, with 43k! It must've done 5k in about 5 years before I got it, but like you it's a little project, as well as my first DIY car! Luckily my father in law is a pretty good retired mechanic !

ETA - Mud flaps are intact, everything is original, and works lol As for water in the spare wheel area, I also had it full, narrowed it down to coming down the drivers side rear, near the lights, I've got the boot interior in the garage and keep a tea towel shoved by the corner, stops the water and I just change it now and then.

Found this site which suggests 32k, not sure though lol HERE

I agree, not much going on in here, still tons of info though, it's a life saver for me on my DIY project!!

Reactions: GTi
Back
Top Bottom