lowering my N16

• Thread starter Thread starter Ums
  • Start date Start date
U

Ums

im thinking to lower my mera, it has 17 inch alloys. whats the reccomended drop i should get done to it? and also 'roughly' what sort of estimate am i looking at to get the job done?

cheers :D

iirc the only drop you can get for the n16 is 35mm. been a while since i have looked so worth checking.

or K-sports do a set of coilovers if you wanna get a decent kit, do a search Tall pauls done his so it will be posted somewhere

I had written up a tuning guide for the N16 in the N16 Tuning, Performance & Maintanence section of the forum but if you're not a member then i'll quote you a reference from it: -

TallPaul86 said:
Suspension

With Suspension, in my opinion, the more you spend the better it gets so the best you can get are Coilover Kits. I currently run PI Lowering Springs the now lowering the front by 35mm and the rear by 20mm (due to the weird setup the car originally had) however i've heard lots of good write ups on the Eibach springs so it would be worth finding out about them before getting the cheapest.

If anyone suggests cutting them or sawing off sections they need a dropkick in the face and a restraint order from getting into a car for life.

There were Koni Suspension Kits available at one point - only from Larkspeed iirc - but they no longer stock them i've been told

The best UK sourced coilovers for these cars either KW Variant 1's or D2 Sports Coilover Kits

KW Variant 1 coilovers can be sourced from any good retailer (i.e. Demon Tweeks) but at £755 do the sums first before commiting - StuN16Sport had purchased a set not long ago so we're waiting on his response after fitting before i go out my way again to organize a failed group buy on this...

Impulse Performance (www.d2racingsport.co.uk) offer D2 Racing Coilover Kits for £699.99 - i did organize a group buy for these coilovers but again folk moaning about where's a group buy and then when it does come round they don't want them :roll: Click Here

The cheaper Coilover Kit you can buy is K Sport Coilover Kits - these are only available from the US... Speak to MajorMods - he's a represntative in the US and can source us some good shit!! Currently you can get K Sport Coilovers with Top Mounts for £408, Shipping costing £95 give or take £15. Sod knows what customs will charge - yet again another member, Almera guy, has purchased a set off MajorMods so i'm waiting on him getting the finger out before rating the K Sports.

Another topic in Suspension is Strut Braces - again we're fucked N16 owners however in the US Nissan USA offer a Nismo Strut Brace for the Spec V Sentra... Fred has already fitted one and seems chuffed with it although i don't know what the difference is like especially as he hasn't lowered his although Fred can tell you better!!

Finally, Whiteline Alignment Products (well known for specializing in alignment products for Jap performance vehicles) have recently released parts for the N16!! :D :D Rear Sway bars, Link Kits - all of which can be found at Demon Tweeks.com

NOTE: The N16 was never going to be as fast as a GTi nor is it going to rival it in performance so, as you can tell by the size of this section, the main focus of the N16 is to make it into an excellent handling car that will enjoy the twisties and back roads

Hope that helps you out mate :D

wraith0x29a said:
Eibach do a 30mm drop spring kit - it's the one I'm going for.

Are you gonna be gettin uprated shocks for it? If so there's only one choice available (Koni Yellow's) and to fit them it involves cutting off sections of the strut/hub/knuckle assembly in order to fit them as they'er shorter than the OE Nissan Shocks

Probably not, too much work, I'd be as well getting coilovers if I was going to that much trouble and expense (that's not work I'd want to do myself).

The Eibach pro kit ~should~ be OK with regular shocks even if they reduce their life a bit. It's not like I'll be racing.

The Eibach's should work out ok for normal use... They've been highly praised combined with Koni shocks by loads of Nissan Sentra Owners... PI Springs is what i've got on the now...

You should get alloy wheels bud - would set if off nice once it's lowered :D

TallPaul86 said:
Almera guy, has purchased a set off MajorMods so i'm waiting on him getting the finger out before rating the K Sports.

The N16 is not having anything else done to it (for sentimental reasons), now that I`ve got the GTi to play with! :P :D

The Coilovers are just sitting in the garage, never even been out of the box! (personal events occured while I was waiting to receive them, that made them `surplus to requirements`, hence the aquisition of the GTi.

They COULD be going to a new home though, they`re just waiting for someone to decide wether they`re actually going to fit them or not.

TallPaul86 said:
Nissan USA offer a Nismo Strut Brace for the Spec V Sentra... Fred has already fitted one and seems chuffed with it although i don't know what the difference is like especially as he hasn't lowered his

It`s a direct fit, & there`s not much difference really, (still rolls about) but seems a little more forgiving (less understeer) through the bends with it fitted.

It`s really only there for show now, but I MAY decide to sell it, & the K&N in the future, but don`t hold your breath. ;)

TallPaul86 said:
You should get alloy wheels bud - would set if off nice once it's lowered :D

Fully intend to mate, but I'm still waiting until..

1) I find £700 behind the sofa.
2) I find wheels I like.

2 is actually the harder one, I still can't decide what I want.
Bearing in mind I'm doing nothing to the exterior (and that it's only a 1.5) I'd rather go for something plain and subtle..
..but plain and subtle does not seem to be a high priority for good alloy manufacturers. :rolleyes:

wraith0x29a said:
Fully intend to mate, but I'm still waiting until..

1) I find £700 behind the sofa.
2) I find wheels I like.

2 is actually the harder one, I still can't decide what I want.
Bearing in mind I'm doing nothing to the exterior (and that it's only a 1.5) I'd rather go for something plain and subtle..
..but plain and subtle does not seem to be a high priority for good alloy manufacturers. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with my wheels :D :D and i got 'em for sale...

I'll keep 'em if no-one wants 'em but if there's interest then i'll sell them. And Freddy boy let us know if you're selling the brace ;) might be interested in them when Xmas Claus has been generous to me :D

TallPaul86 said:
I had written up a tuning guide for the N16 in the N16 Tuning, Performance & Maintanence section of the forum but if you're not a member then i'll quote you a reference from it: -

Hope that helps you out mate :D

sorry paul had kinda missed this at the time of writing. I can assure you KW's are a good buy and yeah theyre pricey, but i saved hard and to be honest i dont regret it in the slightest, besides if you ever consider selling a set, people a are crying out for the things.

the ride quality is well, increadible, and even although im running 17s on 205/40 tyres it is surprisingly smooth. body roll is non existent, meaning that with good tyres you can be confident through corners as the car is extremely positive.

they do take a bit of getting used to though. felt a bit weird for the first few days, for some reason i felt a little unsure of it at first.

another bonus of KW's is that they are stainless steel so rust isnt an issue.
If anyone wants to know more about these or is considering them for there own car - Europerformance sell them and their customer service is 2nd to none.

Just in case I go mental and decide to spend almost as much on suspension as I spent on the car in the first place (the more I drive the car the more I like it so it's entirely possible) I have a couple of questions about the KW coilovers..

1) How much (roughly) to get them professionally fitted?
2) Once fitted how easy to adjust ride profile for someone who currently has zero knowledge of such things (but will scour the internet for info).

Regarding 'uprated' shocks for P1 N16 for use with Eibach 30mm pro-kit springs - would these
KYB Excel-G be a better choice than whatever Kwikfit would stuff in..

Also - does anyone know anything about this Koni Lowering Kit - is that the shocks you were taling about Paul that need extra work to fit?

Anyone know anything about these these.

KYB's are good shocks used them a lot on a few cars and yoeah they are good. heard of a few probs with leaking shocks but they have all been quickly replaced by the supplier.

With regard tou your Koni kit. i considered a Koni kit for mine but i was told that the koni shocks were inserts. this means that they insert into the strut, rather than replacing the strut itself. however as this is perfectly straight forward on some cars such as Vauxhall. i fail to see how the insert will secure into an almera strut as the inside of a standard shock absorber on an almera has no threads on it in which to screw the insert.
However the man at Euro performace car parts assured me "there is a way". (Personally i think he was talking bollox as i had a good look on the diagram on the sysyem at work and the shocker itself and saw no way of doing this without cutting threads into the original strut - on that sort of size of hole, it would be a job for a metal engineer). and so while i may be missing the obvious i would love to talk to someone who has fitted this kit or even had a look at the kit if it is the one im thinking of.

The kit in the last link are KW variant 1s, but buy them from http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=41620
instead.

The kit would prob cost you maybe a £100 - 150 all going well to get fitted.
they are easy to adjust yeah. all you need is an allan key, the special C spanner (supplied) and your sill jack that you get with the car wil suffice. if you want to go for the 'low but practical' look i can give you my strut measurements so that you can set them to that before fitting anf then no major adjustment should be required.

hope this helps (sorry bout the length)

Cool - thanks for all the info. It'll be a while before I lower (couple of months at least) so I can do more investigating on options in the meantime.

Go to motorsportworld.co.uk and search for Eibach Sportline Springs - they provide a 45-50mm/40mm drop.

Pompey_Almera said:
tallpaul what wheels are they that you are selling?

16" OZ Superturismo GT's paired up with BFGoodrich Radial T/A Tyres 205/55/R16 tyres on 3 wheels and a Champiro Tyre on another...

Unfortunately i ain't putting them up for sale now as no-one's got to me with the added bonus of trying to sell 'em at xmas time when everyone's SKINT!!

Plus i ain't reverting back to steelies - understeer was a major issue with those on so i'm keeping the wheels

Back
Top Bottom