Lowering Springs

How hard are they to fit and how long usually?

I have changed a few but only on Vaux Calibras and they are a right pain in the :eek:

Any ideas? or tips??

Cheers

Tom

Not massively difficult. The most time consuming part is changing the springs on the shocks. You'll need spring clamps for that.
Time is approximately 2.5hrs to do.

Any tips? Well, dont jack the rear up on the axle obviously, as you wont get the rear shocks out. So you need it sat on stands on the cills.
The front can be jacked under the engine support bar and then sit it on stands on the cills.
Front: Loosen the hub carrier bolts before loosening the three strut tower bolts.
Back: Loosen the one axle bolt before loosening the two strut tower bolts.

For changing the springs, clamp the OE ones and undo the main nut on the top. unclamp and clamp the new springs.
Front: Seat them properly and then you have to align the arrow on the top mount to point inline with the hub carrier part of the lower shock.

Rear: Align the lower shock bolt to be 12degrees (someone will have to check that, you will see what i mean when you remove the rear shocks) outwards from an imaginary line drawn between the two top mount bolts

You dont need to do that, just fit them with the top mounts slightly loose. Rotate into position then tighten up on the car, thats how ive always done it

it took me a whole day to lower the rear of my car, those main bolts are so tight! But compressing the springs took the most time, and taking out the rear plates and the tops of the rear seats etc :(

strut wise its a much better set up than the old cavs/calibras

as kerrie said, the hardest part of changing the suspension if the interior plates covering the rear shocks havent been removed,

as kerrie said, the hardest part of changing the suspension if the interior plates covering the rear shocks havent been removed,

and once you remove them bin them.

it took me 2 days to do mine, that was with me breaking a shock and having to grind off the front knuckle bolts.

compressing the springs is one of the most draining things ive ever done, although if you wanna speed up the process invest £50 in a battery impact wrench, i compresses a spring in 1 minute yesterday with my wrench. and it makes other jobs so much easier too

Jeez this thread makes me feel grateful to work in a garage, 40 mins tops to do all 4 springs properly taking my time. Windy gun and spring compressors ftw!

spring clamps and windy are a check, love my windy dunno what ill do without it, ill let you know how i get on.

Back
Top Bottom