more bhp

Hello guys,

This is my first post and not sure if doing it rite but here goes. Ive got a 1.5s 2003 and modding is well under way cosmeticaly and done my air filter put some new plugs in and going to fit a universal back box. So was wondering if anyone can recommend any other tips to gain some more brake horses.

Cheers guys

make sure the filter is getting plenty of cold air, add a performance exhaust manifold, a slightly bigger and less restricted exhaust system. read up on how an engine works then you'll get more of an idea, rather than jumping in half way. most basic mods are all about improving air flow in and out of the engine

yeh get a 4-2-1 stainless manifold , ditch the universal back box in favor of a full system i can recommend powerflow systems personally, cams, remapped ecu or piggyback ecu, gas flow the head and port grinding,bore out the block for bigger displacement and a whole load more. Dependent on what ya wana spend turbo conversion or engine swap.
but that should keep ya goin im sure others will make more suggestions.

Yeah you will need a custom one made. The only decent off the shelf stuff is for higher end nissans, be wary of anything off the shelf for an almera as its likely to be cheap crap (aka japerformance or whoever that joker was)

blow off valve

is there a blow off valve on the market for the sport plus (2.2 dti) wha would tha do for the car
plz help with the info

Welcome to the AOC :)

What air filter did you go for ? Be very wary of induction kits like the K&N 57i on N16 Almeras. In short, they don't work ! If you have a replacement panel filter, then you've gone the right route. I can personally vouch that they work far better than most induction kits on the 1.5 & 1.8 models. Like Rowdy said, concentrate on getting more cool air to the filter. Also, don't go for a huge bore exhaust. What you might gain at the top end, will be lost completely at low-medium revs. A 2.25 inch bore exhaust would do fine, so long as you have no intention of turbo-charging the engine. With a custom built system, you're free to choose the volume level you want & the tailpipe look too. :D

Unfortunately there aint much stuff off the shelf for the N16 almera.

I never had a problem with my 1.5 N16 and K+N filter when I had it. I cleaned my MAF before fitting the filter.

Get a custom made exhaust system. Universal backboxes on the whole do jack shit for performance. For a 1.5, 2" will be enough. Good idea to take the middle box out too.

If you can, get a 4-2-1 manifold as that will remove your cat/pre-cat depending on how yours is set up. You'll notice decent gains with this, though they are pretty hard to find for the QG15 engine. Apparently the QG18 manifolds fit from the USA and just need some custom hole drilling for o2 sensor etc. You'll need to either re-fit the normal manifold for MOT or get a high flow cat where the middlebox would be (see above) or find a friendly MOTer :)

Get your flywheel lightened. There was a guy on here Schakey who had his 1.5 fly lightened and he said it totally transformed the engine. You can't get any off the shelf items, so you'd have to get yours out and send it off to be machined.

Of course you could send your head off to be ported and polished etc and spend a fortune on cams / chips that very few people have ever used on an almera before but an easyer option would be an engine transplant. Get a 1.8 in there for 120ishbhp :D Then slap a TTS Supercharger on it and bingo nearly 200bhp. :D

I did quite a lot to my 52 plate N16, 4 branch, full system, 200 cell sports cat, lightened flwheel, custom air shrouded air filter setup. P2 box

First mod for an N16 if I had another one would be the apex springs, and a whiteline front strut brace, these transform the car, along with a set of 17s on low profiles you'll be taking corners faster than anyone will ever expect.

next thing to do would be the k&n induction kit, then grab youself a cheap stainless sanitary bin from sainburys, remove top and bottom and it slips right over the k&n, insulate the battery terminals so it won't arc out, then remove the passenger side fig/fog cover and route your cold air feed through there, that works incredibly well, looks pretty and sounds awesome.

After that I would go with the lightened flywheel/4 branch. You can safely have 1.7 kilos removed off the stock flywheel and make sure you get a new clutch when installing (standard will handle this fine) Ten get a stainless sytem made up with a decent 200 cell cat (long one or your management light will keep coming on and the performance is affected greatly by this)

The P2 gearbox has shorter ratios so is better if you intend serious b-road abuse, and it won't go pop like a p1 box :)

With all that done my 1.5 SE was keeping up with a clio 16v through the twisties and not really losing much on the straights.

next thing to do would be the k&n induction kit (Schnakey)

Sorry dude, I have dyno proven evidence of the K&N induction kit losing power on an N16 - not making more (even with a cold air feed). Mine lost over 5 bhp compared to a K&N panel filter. It was a complete waste of money & should be avoided. If you read previous posts from others on this forum, you'll find that a good panel filter with a cold air feed is the optimum set-up for an N/A N16.

Might be that the 1.8 needs more air? Is it the same kit / airbox / filter?

Never had mine dyno'd but would have liked to have seen what it was running as it did alright for what shoulda been 88bhp.

It's the same kit Steven, the only difference is whether you need the sensor slot on the end cap of the filter. You might have been getting 88 bhp at the fly, but not at the wheels. I very much doubt it would have more than 76-78 bhp @ the wheels. Mine's had 98 @ the wheels with the panel filter & 92.5 with the induction kit.

88bhp is stock for hte n16 1.5... im assuming steven is guessing since he never got his dyno'd

but be blunt... he beat my 1.6 standard which was supposedly 98bhp. and lighter

next thing to do would be the k&n induction kit (Schnakey)

Sorry dude, I have dyno proven evidence of the K&N induction kit losing power on an N16 - not making more (even with a cold air feed). Mine lost over 5 bhp compared to a K&N panel filter. It was a complete waste of money & should be avoided. If you read previous posts from others on this forum, you'll find that a good panel filter with a cold air feed is the optimum set-up for an N/A N16.

It's always nice to see when someone reads my whole post before posting assuming I'm wrong.

std k&n was pretty crap on mine, but once enclosed in a a modified bin it was fantastic, I did have porven power gians over my panel filter setup, but my printouts went with the car.

Just to add to what i wrote earlier. When adding a sports cat you will need to cut a slit off the gearbox mount (exhaust tunnel side) to accomodate, weld the cat straight off the joiner on the flexi and it'll sit fine like this. Make sure you paitn the mount back up to avoid rust :)

Back
Top Bottom