My GA18DE+T

so as those of you who were at nunny know (we will call you the real AOC members) i picked up Rob's (fossilfuels) engine to be converted to a tubby engine.

My plans are to strip the block down to its elements and rebuild it as a GA18DE using the stock crank and rods and QG18 80mm pistons. then run 8psi of boost through it.

being a cast iron block i reckon it can take this, and there is a guy in europe who has already done it in a micra and he says its fine.

so day 1.

DSC02373.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

the clutch... which rob fused to the pressure plate!
DSC02375.jpg

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02379.jpg

2" inlet on the throttle body!

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

DSC02383.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02385.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

DSC02388.jpg

DSC02389.jpg

the holy bores
DSC02390.jpg

mmm head
DSC02392.jpg

where the magic is happening. (yes. a shed. its shorter than me)

so boring the block out by the 4mm it needs to be bored to make it a GA18 will leave 5mm between the cylinders. bang on the VERY minimum that is recommended i believe

so here we go.

All looks interesting Ross & I wish you good luck with the project. My only concern is the one you've highlighted yourself - the lack of metal between the cylinders after boring it out. But fair play to you for trying it mate :cool:

All looks interesting Ross & I wish you good luck with the project. My only concern is the one you've highlighted yourself - the lack of metal between the cylinders after boring it out. But fair play to you for trying it mate :cool:

the metal that will be left will be precisely the same amount you have between your cylinders at this very moment ;)

QG and GA bores are spaced the same. every lobe on the cam lines up the same, even the crank, rods and bearings are the same part, GA and QG are block brothers :p

well looking at it im sure it will be fine... as long as theres a decent anough space between cylinders and you have decent cooling, oil cooler ect, i cant see you having too many problems :D

(famous last words)

Realy hope it goes well for ya ross... its a good engine i know youl give it the treatment it deserves :D

Ross, you going to be tidying up the engine bay and new block too, lick of paint??

yeah, the block itself will be painted / coated to match the alu head. and ill clean up the bay during the swap

all cleaned up and degreased and the rocker painted, if i can figure out how to make a stencil to mould liquid metal im gonna change the rocker cover to say "nissan twin cam turbo" for pure giggles

Back
Top Bottom