My GTI-R

hehe cheers fella, to my knowledge its never been done in an R before, i will keep everyone posted, cant wait to get it sorted :D

it only cost me £800 including shipping, should see how tidy it is and i havnt even had the rocker cover off yet

i love them videos, i have them on my phone lol, but the nly thing is, that motor is a 16VE with a 20DET crank and pistons making it a 2.0, more work though because the 16VE cams are a lot bigger so the pistons need bigger valve notches, id love to put a set of 16VE cams in it at some point though :D

very sure matey, the cam specs on high lobes

SR20VE
inlet 264degree 10.7mm lift
exhaust 268degree 10.3mm lift

SR16VE
inlet 280dgree 11.1mm lift
exhaust 280dgree 11.1mm lift

N1
inlet 288dgree 12mm lift
exhaust 288dgree 11.9mm lift

20V
inlet 278degree 12mm lift
exhaust 280degree 11.1mm lift

hmm interesting, wonder why that is...

end of the day i doubt yourll need cams like that anyway. 20VE head is plenty flow happy as it is before a turbo even gets near it.

good luck with the project, looks to be a goodun!

i dare say the 1.6 bottom end is better for higher revs, it has slightly higher comp pistons and a shorter stroke crank, so make the cams more aggro to make the most of it i suppose.

i know yeh, 20VE inlet cam is the same as a HKS DET cam and 20VE exhaust cam is bigger so just like having HKS cams in but with a better flow and designed head along with having VVL hehe

CoV said:
are you sure? thought only the 16VE N1 cams are more aggressive than the 20VE?

20VE comes out of a 4 door Primera....16VE comes from a hot hatch, definately gonna have the more aggressive cams and higher C/R.

Good luck with the project. Should be a beast of a GTi-R.

Turbo cars dont need mega aggressive cams ( ie s3`s and s4`s are a well proven grind )

Good luck with the swap and having the balls to do something different.

It's a mint motor anyway, and with the conversion you're doing it will be amazing. Top job mate

I'd fookin love a Pulsar :cool:

cheers fellas

yeh i know what you mean rowdy, thats why the 20VE cams will be spot on, should make peak power at around 7k which is good for the DET bottom end, if i had 16VE cams it would be peaking somewhere close to 8k and to make the most of it id need a GT30 turbo to suit, now that would be stupid power, im just wanting to make decent power but not as much torque because everyone knows the R's gearbox cant handle high torques for long lol

weeeeeeeell i got the head off today, can tell its been stood a while as all the oil that doesnt drain completely out had gone crispy lmao, no scoring or anything though so im pleased
SP_A0335.jpg

SP_A0339.jpg

SP_A0334.jpg

SP_A0336.jpg

SP_A0343.jpg

Nice one, Would love to do a VVL head swap on mine....But maybe in afew years, If I really get into track days.

got the valves out yesterday so the head is fully naked now and ready to be machined :D

SP_A0352.jpg

this shows one of the head bolt holes, shouldnt be a problem drilling these out an extra 2mm
SP_A0353.jpg

this one shows better where the external solenoid oil feed gets drilled, you can see it pretty much lines up bang on with the factory galley
SP_A0349.jpg

saw this on JNE the other week, there's not enough appreciation for VVL on there!

got the engine out of the R on friday, then stripped it down, was good to see the bores were still mint, didnt get many pics but here goes

SP_A0356.jpg

SP_A0360.jpg

SP_A0358.jpg

if anyone ever wondered why the DET QTB's wont fit on the VE head, here you go,look at the different stud pattern, plus check out the size difference on the ports :D (DET top, VE bottom)
SP_A0364.jpg

It's good to see this being done in the UK...well done!

Stick with the 20ve cams. They are the best for a GT30 sized turbo.

And just for the record, the injectors are not interchangable, as the GTiR uses a top feed and 20VE uses a side feed.

Keep us posted!

cheers dave, yeh im sticking with 20VE cams, dont fancy notching valve reliefs in the pistons for the 16VE cams lol.

yeh i noticed this the other day about the injectors, shouldnt be a problem, im trying to source some 480cc out of S15 DET

hows that almera coming on mate? i F**king loved the little bandit btw...r.i.p to that monster

Back
Top Bottom