My N15 5-door GTi Build...

shaggy_master

brapp brapp!
So its been a long time coming..
But here it is.. my N15 SR20 5-door build.
Please don't spam this thread up to fuck as I'll be updating it loads this week with stuff and I wanna keep it pretty organised. Thanksss :)
so..
I got my car back Wednesday evening, so Thursday was a fun day.. Getting the garage cleared out, getting the car in, then ripping the necessary bits of the dash out to get the wiring loom.
IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

I got everything stripped and ready so the car was still running fine, but all I needed to do was to unplug the ECU and two other connectors when the time came to rip the engine out. I also got the steering coloumn exposed ready to be ripped out to make way for the new GTi one with the Ignition barrel to pair up with the GTi ECU. By friday morning I was ready to begin the engine removal.

FRIDAY
Didn't get started till 12 :(
Began to strip the engine down ready for the lift, and got everything disconnected except the drivers side Driveshaft :mad:!
IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

Wires tucked neatly out the way:
IMG_1667.jpg

Fuel lines all labelled:
IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Power steering disconnected and blocked off to prevent leaks:
IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

I could not budge the driveshaft and I was exhausted so I left it for a fresh week on monday, as I had work all weekend :(
Joe

MONDAY
A fresh week did me good.. By 12 noon the engine was pulled.. with the offending driveshaft still in its place :)
Simply plug and play ! :)
IMG_1674.jpg

Disconnect the Heater water feeds:
IMG_1675.jpg

Disconnecting the Internal connectors/ECU:
IMG_1676.jpg

Pulling through the bulkhead:
IMG_1677.jpg

Ready for the lift:
IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

Loosen the mounts:
IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Take off the drivers side one completely so the inlet clears the brake cylinder when lifting:
IMG_1680.jpg

LIFT!
IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

Pretty clean for an old 'un! ;)
IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

The standard SRi loom has already got the extra connector for the GTi twinfan radiator:
IMG_1689.jpg

Engine out, ready for Paul/Cov to bore it out lol:
IMG_1690.jpg

OFFENDING SHAFT: still in place lol.
IMG_1691.jpg

I'm off to rip the old steering column out :)
Joe

UPDATE! Old Steering column ripped out..:
IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

NOTE HOW I'VE LABELLED EVERYTHING :) Nice and organised..
IMG_1695.jpg

Whel installing a steering column on your own.. support the column near its mountings with something.. I used a cordless drill case..
IMG_1696.jpg

And feed the splines into the joint near the steering rack: (Its a pig of a job on your own)
IMG_1697.jpg

GTi Steering wheel fitted :) :
IMG_1698.jpg

Bottom part of the dash replaced:
IMG_1700.jpg

Started cleaning:
IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

Joe

excelent write up mate, looks very clean :D

i am still amazed that you got the engine out the top with the gearbox still attached!!

will you put the sr20de engine in that way or lift the car over it?

good luck, excellent work stuart :D

Nice one! Looks tidy as, good luck with the rest of the conversion. When you gonna have a lisence?

*cheeky* Can I have your grille? :D

Phil

you sir are a legend. seems the research and collection of parts paid off. im watchin this one eagerly.

top stuff boss xxx

good write up,

you should have taken the fron bumper and lights off, stop them getting damaged.

the labels is a good idea, wish i had done that

i am still amazed that you got the engine out the top with the gearbox still attached!!

will you put the sr20de engine in that way or lift the car over it?

the SR2O wont go in the top with the gear box fitted, either needs to be bottom up or in 2.

yeah i agree with sam, remove the front bumper/lights and rads etc, will make it 100% easier/more accesible, and prevents any damage too :D keep up the good work

this guide will be used by lots more si/sri owners to come :D
well done

I'm careful when lifting so no reason for me to remove lights/bumper.. I've obviously removed the radiator though.
And yeah the labels are great.. Its simply masking tape wrapped round ;) top tip.
And who said the SR20 won't go in from the top with the gearbox attached? You know your meant to drop it in at an angle.. Like I lifted it out..
I'm sure I'll get it in.. Well we shall see over the next few days..
I'll keep the updates coming.
Joe

top work there mate!! thumbs up :)

i remember taking the engine and gearbox out of the crashed 1.4, it was a right pig still assembled so well done on that one.

hehe i can picture the engine in bits already :p

TUESDAY
Missed the parcel from Stufa this morning with the engine mounts, so the SR can't go in today I'm afraid :(
So its more cleaning.. the engine bay is complete now.. my arms are dead haha, so much scrubbing!
IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

What do you think?
Been giving the engine block a bit of a clean up too.. its not in the best condition though and isn't cleaning up very well:
IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

I've still got my Primera P11 GT engine though, and thats in really good condition so I will put that in one day in the future.
Now I'm off to have a play with my cams..
Joe

Looking awesome mate. I really like the detail that you've gone to. I will keep my eyes on this thread as I want to do a ga16 -> sr20/sr16 conversion one day...

Thats me done for today as its raining now, Decided to cook a chilli con carne instead of fitting my cams in the rain lol.
Tommorow.. we shall see some progress :)
Joe

Back
Top Bottom