N14 SR20 Hillclimb car

Despite its lack of Almeraness I thought I'd post a wee project thread about my Sunny hillclimb car. Most of the work to be done to the car in future is engine based anyway so will be reasonably relateable to the Almera community. Plus I'm spending more and more time on here skulking for parts and I have had a couple of curious pm's.

I bought the car in 2005 as a low mileage sr (ga16de) model as a second car at the grand old age of 17. I then proceeded to thrash the arse of it and ruin its 'one family owned' image on and off through various stages of tune and condition.

As it stands at the moment it is still mot'd and road legal (just) with the following spec:

Shell:
multipoint custom cages cds cage
seam welded
Plexy windows
GRP Bonnet
GRP Tailgate
Lightened steel doors

Suspension:
BC BR series coilovers... 8kg front 6 kg rear
Whiteline adjustable ARB
Fully Polybushed
Front Camber bolts

Engine
SR20de Highport
Ebay manifold
2.5" Mandrel bent system by BT autos with decat
Custom induction system with cold air feed
FSE AFPR @ approx 4.2 bar
183bhp

Gearbox
Vzr Vlsd box
Ebay quickshifter (not currently fitted... need to make up a solid bush for it)
Ap racing paddle clutch

I have a spare head I have had skimmed and de-coked with some C3's ditted and some gspec adjustable gears that will be going on before my first event this year.

I have got a fair old pile of sr20 parts built up now and am hoping to build a high compression engine for next year with the Janspeed head that was last at home on Dales Almera I believe. The intention being a 12ish:1 compression ratio with as light rotational mass as possible, oversized valves with the C3's and Jenvey itb's with emerald management.

My original intention for the car was a ve conversion but I'm a big touring car freak so when the janspeed head came up I couldn't help myself! (even if its origins are a little uncertain)

Heres a load of pictures from through its life:

Swapping out the ga16 for an SR20 from a rotten gti

And its transformation from road to race:

Fitting VZR Box

First wash in about 5 years prior to first hillclimb last year

In action

1st attempt at cold air intake (low budget but highly resourceful!)

Will have to split this due to amount of pictures.....

Fitting new rear arb

Got bonnet painted this year and a chav tastic sunstrip to stop be being blinded this year

GRP tailget with gtir spoiler

Version 2 of intake

Luxurious interior

And thats about where it is today. Offshore for another few weeks but will try and get some photos of the head swap when I get home and of the new engine build as it progresses.

Looks good dude, always wanted to try hill climb as Harewood is just down the road from me.

-phone-

Truth be told it looks a bit rough, really needs stripped back to the shell, I kind of wish I did it when I had all the suspension off but didn't have the time or money to do everything. I'll develop it a bit over the next 2-3 seasons then get it stripped right back. I have toyed with welding in a gtir floorpan at the same time but it depends if I can get an engine built with enough power and torque to overcome the weight gain of 4wd... probably not but I have a good while to work it out!

You should give the hillclimbing a go, its no more expensive than trackdays really and its a lot kinder to the car! All you need is an MOT to run in the road going classes and there is always someone with similar talent/machinery to race against.

Nice build, fast sunnys should live forever.:)
An AOC hillclimb weekend could indeed be fun.

Fast Sunnys unfortunately seem to be dying pretty fast at the moment. If you have a look on howmanyleft there is only about 100 or so sr's and gtis left combined on the road. The problem with them I suppose is that although they have been cheep to buy they have never been that cheep to modify and parts have never been as plentiful as other hot hatches of their era. They are highly under rated though, the rear suspension is really advanced for its time and is better than that of n15's. Its a shame they are a dying breed, but the interest has never been there for them the way it has been for almeras and primeras. There only seems to be a handful of us sados clinging on to them as enthusiasts and another handful using them as daily hacks until they crumble. Sad times....

The n14 rear suspension is fully independant, but the n15 rear beam is also a very good set-up. Real world, you wouldn't get any faster times than a similar set-up n15.
Good build anyway.

Lovely build mate :) looks good is it stock power? or have you done small mods to it?

Thanks. It was running stockish power last year with only the header, 2.5" system and cone filter. This year It'll have the better intake arrangement and JWT C3's dialed in with adjustable cam gears and an afpr. Hoping for around 150-160bhp with a reasonable increase in torque but its only a temporary fix and any improvement on last year I'll be happy with.

Since last update I fitted the c3's to a spare head and swapped them over netting a very healthy 183bhp at the fly with 4.2bar fuel pressure on the stock ecu! Idles like a bad of bolts but keep it above 1100rpm or so and it's fine although will be looking to get stand alone management for next year. Also had some stiffer springs fitted and had the the geo set-up.

Done 2 events so far, knocked 3 seconds off my best time at Fintray hillclimb and and a massive 7 seconds off my best time last year on the Littleferry circuit at Golspie sprint netting my first class win.

Some pics of its progress this year

Lightening the doors

Ready to rock for Fintray

Weight loss for Golspie

Quick rust treatment

Making up Carbon splitter

http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/s...0D4-962-00000111DD28257F_zps55d80181.jpg.html

Some of the dead weight

De-air braked rear bumper

Massive amount of shit required for a weekends racing when 2 kids, mrs and dog are in tow

Race accomodation at Golspie

Some of it in action at Golspie

Have some white 15" rota slipsteams ordered and some yellowstuff pads to fit before my next event. Currently trying to make a decision on what tyres to go for. Slicks are allowed in my class but at almost £1000 I think the money might be better spent on a Cusco diff and just get some new "trackday" type tyres. Considering Kuhmo V70a softs but we'll see how the prices compare.

Sounds like your season is going from strength to strength. Great stuff.

Your cars face reminds me of this BTW
314958.jpg

Hahaha! I am planning on making a carbon cover for the driverside headlight which will make it look a bit less one eyed monsterish and drop a couple of kg's at the same time but not had the time for it yet. All the matting is sitting there ready to go so hopefuuly get it done before the end of the year.

Looking great. The Audi looks a bit overloaded ;)

Its not as bad as it looks. It sits on its arse unloaded never mind with a trailer and a boot load of tools. Tryed changing the rear springs but did't make much of a differance. Still tows fine so not that fussed tbh.

Id be careful at 4.2bar! Your poor 16 year old injectors may stick open!

Rest of the work looks spot on!

Id be careful at 4.2bar! Your poor 16 year old injectors may stick open!

Rest of the work looks spot on!

They're 20 years old actually, engine is from a 93MY if I remember correctly. I'd be more worried about the untouched 100+k bottom end, timing gear and oil pump constantly living in high rpms if I was a worrying kinda guy. It'll be fine, and if it isn't I have a garage full of sr20 parts to bodge it back together. I was only intending on running this engine for the rest of this year (5 more events for me) but if its still going strong after that it will get a winter service and I'll concentrate on building a lower ratio gearbox with a mechanical lsd for next year instead.

Sam, splitter is from here http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Universal-Carbon-Fibre-Front-Splitter-Kit__CMUNSPLT001.aspx

Fairly easy to fit but much easier to do with the bumper removed.

Back
Top Bottom