N16 1.5 - poorly :-(

Hi guys

i have a Almera N16 1.5 on a 53 plate has only done 36k and it's not well

Syhmptoms:

poor starting on a morning
Engine management light on (yellow)
poor idle (rev counter bouncing quite quickly between 400 - 1500)
occasionally just cuts out - enine, all electrics, everything (strangely this seems to happen whilst changing gear and will start fine again after 2 mins)
is quite hesitant at low gears/revs
also feels a lot slower than normal

Any Ideas?

a mate has suggested the timing chain but i doubt it after only 36k

Hey buddy,

Im not the best person to advise, but I think you should have her plugged into consult so they can read the error codes and see. If the engine management light is on i'm guessing its something not good!

It's either gonna be something simple like a sensor, or something really bad and I realise this is absolutely NOT what you want to hear...but that's exactly what was happening with my car and it turned out to be the timing chain. However, it could just be that your Crank/cam sensors are duff.

Around 3000rpm is there it a bit of a rattle? That would tell you if your chain is loose.

If you are relatively ok with mechanics...take the rocker cover off and have a look at the chain tensioner. If it's sticking out more than 10mm...means it's stretched and most likely to go shortly.

I'm also thinking MAF here if not the above...

By all means, take it to have the fault codes read. Do bear in mind though that a main dealer will charge you an hours labour for this (around £60 including VAT)

seriously, check the engine codes first!

i was thinkin air sensor the same as steve, cos the symptoms all sound there, could even be summit as simple as a loose air pipe!!! (my mr2 did the same, doh!)

Thanks for the replies guys

managed to get it in to the garage yesterday - diagnosis the timing chain has stretched

have two options RE replacement genuine nissan £??? or a cheaper aftermarket kit garage quoted £420 fitted inc VAT inc chain guards tensioner so think i'm gonna go with that

on a bonus note though diagnostics and removing error code at the garage was grattis :-)

has anyone had any experience of this before - surely a timing chain should last more than 30-odd thousand miles and 4 years

Im not sure if this covers you (dont know what a 53 plate is) but werent Almera's recalled regarding their timing chain?

No.

They were recalled 03 onwards for the crank and cam sensors. If this recall was not picked up after taking it to a NISSAN garage, they would have done any resultant damage under recall. If not, they will only replace the sensors.

It's a pig like. It's a known issue and more than likely another design flaw much like the gearbox filler plug being too low.

Genuine Nissan parts are £400 + VAT. Non genuine is £140 or so including VAT. Guess which is better :P Big job though, and you are looking at it being away at least a full day.

had it in yesterday

got it back about two hours ago £455.90 later working perfectly

pulling out of the customer car park - scraped it on a bollard - :-(

lesson to be learned - rigger boots give absolutely no feedback and like to cover more than one pedal at a time - all because i didn't want to leave my smelly trainers in the car while it was in the garage.

anyone wanna guess at my radio code cos i haven't got a clue - lol

no but give me your reg no, chassis number and mileage and i will get it for you. if it has been sourced before then i can get it no probs. if not its a radio out job because i will need numbers from it. but lts go the easy way first. I work for a Nissan Dealer, no uderhand methods :)

Sorry its off topic but Are all 1.5 N16 engines chain driven? Some cock on ebay said hes just changed the cambelt on his 1.5 SE! hes conning people.

The reason the chain has stretched is to do with the oil. Either the wrong oil has been used or not changed at the correct time.

In that case it's nissan's fault. Mine's been fully serviced by a Nissan dealer every year of its life with stamps to prove it.

Serviced every year with never any more than 10k done between services...

Mate, it should be able to run on kitchen fat and not make a blind bit of differance on a chain that's done 60k.

Timing chains should NOT stretch/go in 60k nevermind 36k as this guy has done.

i change my oil every 4K to help to try and avoid the chain problem, a little excessive but its going to help then i dont mind. Listen to tech_1 tho steve, hes knows his stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom