N16 1.5SE Ignition Barrel - a bit notchy

Hi peeps. As you have have read in the newbie section, I have just got myself 2001 1.5SE N16 Almera. Runs sweet with no issues. I have noticed one thing though.

When I put the key into the ignition barrel, I am greeting with a notchy resistance. With a wiggle, the key slots in and then it catches again when I go to turn the key. Again, with a little wiggle, it sorts itself and I can start the car. I though it may have just been a damaged key, so used the spare. This made the problem worse.

I haven't even reached for the WD40 or grease yet, I just wondered if this is common problem on the N16?

Thanks

no common faults with the N16 to be honest. its going to be hard to do this one. you will need a ignition barrel off another car but you will need to remove the chip inside your key and place it in the new key if you know what I mean. the immobilizer chip is mounted inside the key.

Darren

think i will try some spray grease tonight before i do anything drastic as it would also mean changing all the door locks.
luckily i have a 3 month warrenty with it.

first time I heard of the N16 having a ignition barrel problem to be honest I think. what year N16 do you own I got a Phase 2 and had no problems with the immobilisers (stock one anyway)

is ur key worn or slightly bent,can cause these problems too,but as said some spray oil might free it up,when i was with nissan i never seen n16 ignition problems ether,

Keys look good. As said, it is much better after some silicon spray ans some vaseline.
If I try to turn the key quickly, it will catch every now and then, if I turn the key slowly, it is nice and smooth every time. :D

Back
Top Bottom