N16 Buyer's Guide / Things to look for 2.2 DCi

edk

Addicted to Torque
Staff member
DCi Useful Links - http://www.almeraownersclub.com/threads/n16-dci-tuning-maintenance.25055/

Use this thread to discuss problems, weaknesses and things to look out for when buying a new DCi.

Whining turbo
If there's a very loud whistling or whining noise when driving it's possible the bearings are going in the turbo. It's a common fault and is the DCi's only real weakness.

Rattling timing chain
Can cause problems starting, stalling, and a rattling noise on tickover. Listen with a tube around side of the engine with the belts and see if there's any abnormal noises.

Earth strap
The earth strap from the battery to the gearbox can come away, check that it's ok. Simple job to fix thouugh. Can cause running problems but not always.

Common Problems & Weaknesses

(For more general issues with the chassis common to all N16s see here - https://almeraownersclub.com/threads/n16-buyers-guide-things-to-look-for.39573/)

If you think or know of any more feel free to post and I'll add it to the list :).

As with most engines a regular service (especially an oil change) can prevent the chain and turbo issues. The DCi well cared for will do you well.

Last edited:
Great info thanks, I need to check the earth strap from the battery - what would this look like and would it be located going from the negative battery terminal?

Found a snapped earth strap from the chassis to the gearbox. £4 replacement made a night and day difference to performance.

Found a snapped earth strap from the chassis to the gearbox. £4 replacement made a night and day difference to performance.
Will be doing this myself tomorrow cos my earth strap is stopping the car starting. Had to borrow a Renault Laguna. Oh the irony!

Whining turbo
If there's a very loud whistling or whining noise when driving it's possible the bearings are going in the turbo. It's a common fault and is the DCi's only real weakness.

Had this problem for a long time now and I really ought to get it sorted. Even pedestrians are turning around and looking at me. :oops: Either that or it's the rock music from the CD player. I don't like the attention!

Back
Top Bottom