N16 Buyer's Guide / Things to look for

Discussion in 'Other Almera Discussion' started by edk, Mar 3, 2011.

1. edk

edk Addicted to Torque Staff Member

Model:
    SXE DCi
    Chassis:
    N16
    Use this thread to discuss things to look out for when buying a 'new' N16.

(For DCi/Diesel specific problems see here - http://www.almeraownersclub.com/threads/n16-buyers-guide-things-to-look-for-2-2-dci.39572/)

Timing Chains
    Petrols can suffer from stretched timing chains so listen out for rattles or poor starting/stalling.

Usually cam shaft position sensor is the cause of the symptoms and a new sensor may help, but if the chain is actually stretched it won't, and a new chain will be needed.

Source: http://almeraownersclub.com/threads/cam-chain-horror-stories-clarification-please.40636/

Gear boxes
    Some also have faulty gearboxes, but that's mainly if they havnt been topped up as the filler hole is too low.

Headlights
    Recall on headlights on phase 2 (2003+). Early type but best check with Nissan with the Reg before you buy the car).

Rear calipers
    Often prone to seizing. A quick strip and re grease the pads and slide pins often works, but sometimes a new seal kit if needed too. Seal kits can be picked up for around £30 and are not too tricky to do it yourself.

Rust
    Tailgate, spots at the bottom of the glass. Behind the numberplate.
    Back ends of the sills.
    Crossmember, these can be excessive. How bad it can be, and changing it - http://almeraownersclub.com/threads/n16-crossmember.23877/

If you think or know of any more feel free to post and I'll add it to the list :).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Liam

Liam

Model:
    Burner
    Chassis:
    Oil
    P2 headlight recall, seizing brake calipers...

3. Darren198712

Darren198712 Just chillin'

Model:
    1.5 3dr SE
    Chassis:
    2003 (53) Phase 2 N16
    When my timing chain was stretching my cam position sensor was the first thing to go faulty. it would start and drive as normal but the ECU light was constantly on. 1 or 2 months down the line it would take ages to start and miss fire sometimes. then it gave up on me but when I was being towed home by my dad I bump started it and it started however when I turned off the ignition I cranked it over and over and it would never start.

4. Nistro

Nistro

Model:
    GTI
    Chassis:
    N15
    front inner wings as well me and phil have had to weld 2 n16s this year and both where from different ends of the country

5. rowdy-GTi

rowdy-GTi Moderator Staff Member

Model:
    GTi
    Chassis:
    N15
  6. Johnware

Johnware

Model:
    Almera 2004
    Chassis:
    N16
    Does anybody have a "HOW TO" to change this "Funny little bulbs?"

7. shu

shu

Model:
    se
    Chassis:
    N16

this video shows you how to pull out the dashboard and change the lights x

8. Nugget Beercase

Nugget Beercase

Model:
    Saloon 1.6 GXe
    Chassis:
    N15
    Among basic "buying a used car checks":
    - Inspect the radiator support beam behind the front bumper for rust. Very common on the N16 models to rot.
    - Make sure the rear brakes and handbrake work properly. (Rear wheels/rims not hot to the touch after a drive, handbrake keeps the car stationary on an incline)
    - The QG engines like the 1.5 is are notorious for timing chain wear resulting in various issues. (Hard to start, stuttering while driving/accelerating etc.)

If there is a check engine light, you need to know what it is for. If the code is cam or crank position sensor related, chances are the chain is no good. There is no easy external way to tell if the chain is bad.
    If the service history is ok (oil has been changed on a regular basis and frequently enough) and there is no check engine light present, and the engine sounds and feels smooth, the chain is probably ok (for now).

Other than that the N16 is a pretty solid car IMO. Some smaller faults can arise (CD player/display unit related etc.) but I didn't list faults that do not affect the reliability/driveability side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice