N16 crossmember

At the moment that doesn't look too bad, you'd probably get away with a plate being welded over the bottom hole...

good to know. IThat bottom hole is original, rather than wholly rusted -- the rust has just made it bigger. But they might suggest welding over it anyway?

The cross member is a grey area of MOTing, I believe that it is at the discretion of the MOT tester as to whether the car would pass or fail, but the VOSA rules state that the only way the cross member can count as an item on a VT30 (fail sheet) is if it is cracked or fractured, not corroded, so im told anyway after asking a tester fresh from his MOT training. Heard of a few garages locally being caught up in arguments with customers and VOSA over crossmembers. Still worth sorting though if you are looking to keep the vehicle.

Mine could be better i guess :(

Depends on the MOT testers itnerpretation of whether the crossmember is "integral to the structural rigidity" of the car.

Currently having a debate over whether the slight play in my steering rack is "significantly effecting the vehicles ability to steer correctly" with a couple of local mechanics. Some say yey, some say ney. lol

i'm going to replace one this weekend (if weather hold out), just doing the lower panel though. If i rememebr i'll take some pics and type up a how too

started o mine today and here is what i found
N1600003.JPG

N1600004.JPG

N1600005.JPG

N1600006.JPG

N1600007.JPG

N1600008.JPG

N1600009.JPG

N1600010.JPG

N1600011.JPG

N1600012.JPG

N1600013.JPG

n1600014.JPG

n1600015.JPG

n1600016.JPG

n1600017.JPG

i'll have it all sorted and back on the road tomorrow

Thats looking like a good job,

I took the bumper of mine a month or so ago to flake the worst of the rust off, then i painted and undersealed/waxoyled the whole area, to stop it from getting worst.

did u get the crossmember from nissan or a parts place. And how much did it cost. Mine needs doin like although its not as bad as yours.

it's a gen nissan one, with all the cars i have worked on the pattern panels are usualy crap fitting etc,
friend got it for me and cost me a little favour ;)

i'm sure i read about a 12 year Perforation from corrosion warranty – Covers inside to outside perforation on the n16. if so, does it cover the crossmember.

Back
Top Bottom