N16 door mirror glass

• Thread starter Thread starter bathtub tom
  • Start date Start date
B

bathtub tom

2003, '53 reg, N16?
I clipped mirrors, and smashed the glass ('04 Astras are tougher). The replacement glass had a heating element (the original hadn't), but while I was paying for it the enthusiastic staff fitted it before I had a chance to see how it was done. Full marks to Brookside garage, Cemaes bay, Anglesey.
Now I'm thinking I could probably pick up the wiring for the mirror heater in the loom (It comes on with the heated rear window), but how do I remove the glass without breaking it, or perhaps I could get access by removing the mirror cover. Has anyone done this please?

As far as I can tell (not tried it) you just wrap a flat-head screwdriver in a cloth (to protect the mirror housing), slide it a bit behind the glass at the bottom middle of the mirror and the mirror glass just pops off as it's held on with 4 clips on the back of the glass.

That's for the pre-facelift models but I doubt it's much different on the facelift models.

I'm cautious. As opposed to 'I'm a cautious man'. Those with funny handshakes will know what I mean.
I've still got the remains of the old bit, the glass sits in a plastic frame that clips firmly in. There's two sort of nylon flexible tongues that I presume pull it back in place. I've tried levering it out, but chicken out after applying so much pressure.
I suppose it's only designed to be fitted, not removed. I had a Honda bike like that!

Back
Top Bottom