N16 Front Lights (all of em)

Was out last night for a wee drive on some back roads in the car and realised how quite shocking the lights are on my car (as well as quite how respectable a handler a standard 1.5 is!)

The aim seems to be fine, but just not powerful enough. All "wee yellow" colour as well. Obviously I'm not going to buy new headlights but I was looking for some tips as to what to try? I've done a wee search on here and got some useful info on bulbs. Can anyone clarify if the main beam is a h1 or h3?

Lastly, the E doesn't have fog lamps. I quite fancy investigating the possibility of sticking some in. Does anyone know where to source them? (a google / ebay and parts search reveals little) and possibly point me in the direction of some instructions for wiring?

I`d keep looking on the bay, there`s usually some knocking about.

As for the wiring, I think the connectors should already be there (they were on my 54 plate SE).

If you can get under the car, there should be a little connector tied out of the way underneath each headlight, but they`re easier to get to if you take the lights out.

Check out these pics, so you know what you`re looking for.

Nearside.jpg

offside.jpg

Hope that helps you out.

if your thinking of the fog lights as providing extra light on country roads then they are useful but i think better bulbs in the headlights would be better, i spent a good few hours last weekend on random country road drives in the middle of the night and found that the fog lights were great for very close up things as they light up the kerb right in front of you, BUT if anything was there you would have seen it anyway with the headlights, so even though there good to have there not something i would say is essential.

theres a few sites that have been mentioned on here for bulbs, i think its WhatCar that has done a few independant reviews on bulbs aswell so it might be worth reading them first before you buy any, i think a few of the larger names arent any better than the smaller names from memory. could do with sorting some out for mine, its almost as though they light it up but you cant really see anything anyway, theres no power in them so its like shining a candle in a dark room, bits are lit up but too many areas arent.

I never use my fogs to gain extra light (mainly because i only have one lol) but just flick the high beams on, and be quick to turn them off when a car comes to you.

Using fogs in anything but fog is stupid really. All it will do is draw your eyes to the brightly lit area directly in front of you, rather than looking ahead of you like you should be doing...

i was only using them to experiment to see what worked the best (was a day or two after i passed my test), high beam wasnt as good as i expected it to be so i thought i would try the fog lights and see what they were like while nobody else was around. tbh i didnt know the roads at all so i was just trying to see what bends were ahead. although there is a narrow national speed limit road around here thats pitch black at night and pretty narrow and the fog lights are good on that, the kerbs are quite hard to see at night so on there the fog lights make it much much easier to see them, bloody scary at night aswell so its good to have as much light as possible on there

Ok, I see on a thread before someone mentioned all weather bulbs from Halfords. Halfords being the raping numbskulls that they usually are - I was wondering if anyone could englighten me as to what these are? (hoho, get it?). Been on ebay, but there seems to be alot of cheap ass lamps on there, would rather know what ones to go for. Oh, and if it's H1 or H3.

For the fogs, the fogs wouldn't be used for driving, unless it was foggy - obviously. It's pretty much because I think the car would look better with fogs than those damn plugs.

I had the same gripes about my standard bulbs so put in..
Halfords Laser-Blue H7 for main beam (was the best-in-test for the tests I saw),
Philips Blue Vision H1 for the full beam as they weer second best but come with color-matched
501 sidelight bulbs that match the Halfords Laser Blues nicely.
Finished-off with blue/chrome coated PY21W front indicator bulbs (they flash orange but look blue).

Visibility is now fine and I have a crisp white lights.

Halfords bulbs rate pretty well in the tests I've seen, better even than Philips (came clsoe second) who I think make Halfords bulbs anyway. I guess Halfords have to be good at something right?
Their all-weather or Ultra-Bright +50% bulbs will give be even better visibility than the laser blue ones I like.

Philips have an extensive application guide for finding the right bulbs for your car and there are plenty of sites out there competing on price. High quality bulbs ain't cheap, though.

I agree, the 1.5 N16 can be fun on back-roads (not as good as the N15 but not quite as bad as N15 owners will have you believe ;)) but really needs much more power.

I got quoted £170 by the local Nissan Dealer for getting fogs fitted to my 2000 N16.
They didn't say if that included the stalk-control with the switch for them, though.

My dealer phoned me about a recall on N16 lights (dont know if it affects all models but he said that they were too dim and to bring the car for them to be replaced)

Seem a bit better now

Back
Top Bottom