N16 Help

Darren198712

Just chillin'
I recently fitted Apex Springs and alloys

and when I go around a round-a-bout quickly or throw a right turn quickly my left wheel has a constant knocking noise

I thorght it might be the Calipers or brake pads or even the wheel bolts but they are all fine what else could it be. could it be that the lowering springs are not fitted correctly ?

Have you checked the top mounts?

When I fitted springs to my last car, the nut that goes into the damper was abit loose causing it to 'knock'

just turn the sound up and ignore it. its probably top mount alignment, on the n15 it has to be positioned properly.

GTi kurt said:
Have you checked the top mounts?

When I fitted springs to my last car, the nut that goes into the damper was abit loose causing it to 'knock'
I will check that at the garage tomorrow

I am guessing it could be the plastic that around the shock protecting it is loose.
(OEM Plastic around the middle of the shock)

Darren198712 said:
I am guessing it could be the plastic that around the shock protecting it is loose.
(OEM Plastic around the middle of the shock)

I had the same problem wen i fitted the coilovers, identifed it was the strut top mount bearing.
these damn thing cost £26, part no:- is 54325-4M400

M48DFB said:
I had the same problem wen i fitted the coilovers, identifed it was the strut top mount bearing.
these damn thing cost £26, part no:- is 54325-4M400
ok then my mate told me it might be the lower ball joint bearing or something like that

I thorght it might have been the plastic arch lineing as when I full lock my wheel to the right the plastic is about 3-4 inches away

StuN16Sport said:
does it knock only when turning or over rough terrain also? and has this just happened since you lowered the car?
well it knocks when its on rough terrain. and I am unsure if it has happened if i lowered the car but I am pretty certain

its getting worse and worse now.
should go to the garage Tuesday

sounds to me like perhaps the top coils of the springs are sitting together, and when going over a bump they are knocking together. (this happened to me with spax and PI springs), when jacked up everything will look normal. look into ur wheel arch with the car on the ground and see if the top coils are indeed touching, this COULD be the source of the knock u are hearing

StuN16Sport said:
sounds to me like perhaps the top coils of the springs are sitting together, and when going over a bump they are knocking together. (this happened to me with spax and PI springs), when jacked up everything will look normal. look into ur wheel arch with the car on the ground and see if the top coils are indeed touching, this COULD be the source of the knock u are hearing
its only when cornering though not on a straight line

Back
Top Bottom