N16, is it possible to add extra keys

I only had one key when brought my car but its only a matter of time before I lose or break it. I've seen similar nissan keys for sale on eBay that need cutting to key patten but how do I programme the immobiliser and remote locking??

Any help appreciated

What model do you have? You can add keys but you will need to get key blank cut & coded to the ecu for it to get you passed the immobiliser (model dependant).

Any good security centre that cuts keys often have key fobs that can be coded to your ecu but its not cheap but is cheaper than from Nissan.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

As above.

Any locksmith will be able to cut the blade, but you'll need to get the fob(chip) programmed for your ECU.

The central locking programming is easy to DIY.

It's a n16 2003 SE model.

So if I buy a nissan blank key of eBay how do I get it coded to start the car?

Also if I buy a second hand remote bit, can that be coded for central locking?

This is a pic of the type of key I have

Last edited:
Most non Nissan key coders cannot code Nissan chips they want you to buy their own as they claim they cannot code them. Check before you buy from eBay.

Ok, there's a car locksmith near me. I'll pop in and ask him. I'll post what he says incase anyone else ever needs this

Ok, there's a car locksmith near me. I'll pop in and ask him. I'll post what he says incase anyone else ever needs this

You can code the fob yourself to work the central locking and the immobilser. I did this on my 2001 with the same key type anyway.

I had a spare fob that didn't work, so I just bought a second hand key with a working fob, switched the blades over and used the switch ignition on & off so many times, press this button etc procedure to programme it to work on my car. The remote locking worked, and the key started the car. No issues.

No the nats chip is on the key blade part so it was onky central locking system that was programmed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Oh i see! Yes the chip can be swapped but the OP only has 1 key so will need to get a second chip programmed.

Im confused,I was told that you have to go to a main dealer to get the key and get it coded to the car.
As stated earlier in post certain locksmith/security shops provide their own key blanks and fobs that can have your existing chip copied onto a new blank & fob. These are not factory options but are cheaper then going to the stealership.

Back
Top Bottom