N16 R34 Bumper Mod

Hey there,
Its abit of a long story, sorry to bore you guys
I've never really been happy with any n16 bumper avalible to order, then I saw on the N16 Malaysian forums a member put a s15 Trail bumper next to the n16 the fitting looked quite similiar.

photo1-1.jpg

I then began a s15 bumper search & came across this.
http://www.rhdjapan.com/rasty-r-spec-front-bumper-s13-s14-s15-51370
In total it was costing £950+ then customs risk. I thought I could arrange my own delivery to save some what £300 as they were charging £500+ delivery. I would have been an idiot & prob ended up buying it, but I didn't want to give up so soon & except that, luckily I continued with my searching & found a member on the silvia website who hadnt been on for years I took my chances, but the moderator closed the thread, after my post & thought I was crazy.

Lo & behold 2-3 months later, I get a pm that it was still avalible. Whilst I was on the gtr forums speaking with an importer, who said he would charge me £300 for delivery which would have made it £600ish deliverd.

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/170466-carmake-rasty-s15-front-bumper-200-a.html

The member was in the army so he wasn't so active, & he sold his Silvia so the bumper was just sat in the garage for 4 years, I tried to get some quotes for delivery it was lucking good around £240 for but I expected better as it was coming from the States a common country.
I found a website called intercargo, & got a quote for around £100 only & booked it right away, only to realise later I had not changed the units to cms. So the parcel seemed smaller then what it actually was but item was already dispatched on express delivery from DHL.

I did get an email from intercargo that the size was incorrect pay £515 more otherwise it would be sent back, I didnt check my mail for a few days. But in the background DHL was so quick it was in the uk within 24hrs & on my doorstep in under 48 from the USA. I would have said sent it back as I wouldn't have been happy to pay that much, not heard from them been a month.

Sorry for the essay but her it is

The fittings not great but is workable

photo13.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo14.jpg

GTRmats2.jpg

Some more messages I found from the old thread

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Dysopath;621375 said:
that looks fantastic. have you got a way to make a grill fit yet? obviously with the JDM bonnet it wil make a big difference but theres still a gap between bumper and bonnet.

Not quite yet, but it will be something along the lines of what Ed mentioned above & some additional custom work to get it to align better & to make it blend well as if it was supposed to fit the n16.

dopey;621376 said:
Im unsure if it looks too busy at the front be good to see all fitted up. But 100% leave the GTR badges for a GTR or you will just get laughed at by anyone who knows cars.

I no what you mean, but my new ride is going to be in black, I think it will look less busy, I may be getting ph1 lights painted black 2 to go with all the edges on the bumber, but as my car will be in black I'm not sure if I will get away with the ph2 circle projectors..?

About the emblems I new I was going to get slaughtered for that. I think this whole bumper thing is laughable too, but I just have to do it & hopefully 1 day it may have an rb26 in there lol. ok thats going too far, but hopefully 1 day it will be tuned enough to take a gtr.

Standard off course lol, Oh & r34 ;)

edk;621380 said:
I think you could easily blend a cutout on to this. Also use the tops of the stock bumper where it meets the wings. I think you'll have issues with how low it goes though. Looks low even now... plus in my opinion you need to match the skirts and traffic apron to suit.

-phone-

Sorry Ed I think I get you, but abit unsure what you mean at the same time.

steve55;621386 said:
you could go too far and get new wings made to match the "wideness" of the gtr front bumper, but would be expensive

You mean like what nismo did to the r34 z-tune wings where they stickout abit..? How much do you think it would be & what companies do work like that. Incase I did want to pursue with it in future..?

damienga15de;621531 said:
Bumpers far too square for the n16, why not follow edks example but mould some rounder type vents into it in the same places as the skyline

Thanks for the advice mate, me do likes the squares & for now I don't want to add to the work, but might be something I'll consider in the future.

syv101;621538 said:
if you know what youre doin and u got a vision, go for it. As long as youre comfortable with the looks, others opinion matters little, and it isn't looking that bad, although you'll have to do same stuff for the rear and skirts I guess.

Cheers mate, I hope I know what am doing lol, I've got the vision had it for ages, I couldn't help but to entertain it, I've got a edgy rear bumper not to keen on it but again it goes with the square edgy front, not find any skirts yet.

Cheers mate! I was supposed to collect my new n16 this weekend & get on with this project, 9 months in the trader the trader... Sold he week I was going to pick it up.

Orite fellas,

just a wee update, test fitting bumper on my new Mera, modified the brackets slightly, random bonnet chop (not photo shop lol), & fitted a random grill just to get an image of what I want it to look like in the end.

I do want to chop the bumper as it touches some odd bumps here & there even if I drive over them at 5mph,& the car hasent even been lowered yet. Going to be a nightmare. Any suggestions guys..?

P.s ordered the r34 skyline indicators too that fit on this bumper for £15 on eBay would have been mine for 99p but missed the auction then emailed him & he wanted £15

untitled.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

Look How Close the Tyres meets the bumper lol, its just on the drivers side though.

IMG_3157.jpg

P.S.S might bid on some Nismo smoked indicators too, also some updated Pics in my thread after a long deserved wash lol

Doesnt look too bad. You in on the GRP bonnets?

To reduce the height of the bumper you should cut out the section shown here...untitled.jpg

Obviously all the way across, then fit the bottom most part back on. Should look a lot better :)

I'd maybe fill those indicator holes and shave a bit of the squareness out of the corners too.

Its not easy on my eyes though, looks a bit fussy.

Liams idea is a cracker, do that.

Got plans for skirts and rear yet? :) Can't see it yet so will wait for more done.

-phone-

this doesn't look near as bad as I thought it would, but I think liam and el have hit the nail on the head suggestions wise as its a little too busy, but with the suggested mods I think it could look cracking

....phone....

I sort of agree it looks better than it looked in my head, but I still think the boxy shape of the bumper doesn't suit the relatively curvy shape of the N16.

Cheers for the comments guys, & thanks for the input to :) .

Doesnt look too bad. You in on the GRP bonnets?

To reduce the height of the bumper you should cut out the section shown here..

Obviously all the way across, then fit the bottom most part back on. Should look a lot better :)

Thanks bud, that's exactly what I thought, to chop it from there. I didn't really want any extra work for this bumper just wanted plug & play to be honest but hey ho & yep I'm in the jdm bonnet gb :) I thought it'd take me forever to sell the original Bonnet so thought I'd chop it knowing the jdm 1 will be made soon.

I'd maybe fill those indicator holes and shave a bit of the squareness out of the corners too.

Its not easy on my eyes though, looks a bit fussy.

Liams idea is a cracker, do that.
As above don't really want the extra work, it's prob the colour that's making your eyes fuzzy lol, once black it should be abit more easy on the eyes! Oh & I am going to invest in some r34 lights to so that should blend it in better. Which means I will need to get different side indicators to go with the "squareness"

Got plans for skirts and rear yet? :) Can't see it yet so will wait for more done.

-phone-

Yeah sorry my phone played up that's why there just the 1 pic. I've bought Darrens old skirts. & I've got a squarish rear bumper too not too keen on it but the only squarish one I could find. But might mod it a little later on not sure yet..? I'll see if I can get a pic but I'm sure you being the n16 g you know exactly which 1 I'm on about & you will prob get the pic on here in a flash lol.

I sort of agree it looks better than it looked in my head, but I still think the boxy shape of the bumper doesn't suit the relatively curvy shape of the N16

I know what you mean, but wierdly enough the r34 has got circular lights, & curvy rear arches. I know r34 is the don & n16 is nothing compared to it but let's see how it goes lol.

Lower Bumper chopped :( Doesen't look that decent now but once I lower it should look okay, & I'll keep the lower piece for shows & meets if ever I get a chance.

238180de616f934c00cc18b32aede0b9.jpg

086f3c448fef48f573ef21651e82ee45.jpg

c06ec3ef007f03dd8a302cff65530ea4.jpg

e2f3a0dc578612ed6eeb4dedc3919e03.jpg

3fbc8848213a13c393c218a00e9ef69a.jpg

9733d91ac636bc0486f7016510294b3e.jpg

e542705b5cb366d0bdbca716bb19e476.jpg

Back
Top Bottom