N16 recommended engine oil

I notice my usual oil supplier (Comma) http://www.commaoil.com/ have changed their recommendation for N16 engine oil to 5W-30, from 10W-40.

The handbook recommends 10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50 for an ambient temperature of -20 to 40c.

It recommends 5W-30 for -30 to 15c.

However, it also states '5W-30 will positively improve fuel economy'.

What's the thoughts of the forum?

I've done a search, to no avail.

i used 10w-40, not really an expert when it comes to oil viscosity but i cant see that it would make a whole heap of difference just so long as the oil is changed regularly.

if you want a clean engine in the long run use fully synthetic stuff

Sorry Wezz, I'll have to disagree with you there. If you regularly thrash the t*ts of your engine at track days or have it tuned til it bursts I'd totally agree with you. But for most of us on here, semi-synthetic with regular changes is all we'll ever need. Fully synthetic is a false economy for big mileage engines or anyone who just trundles back & forward to work. Why pay £30 for it when £20 will do just as good a job at normal running speeds ? Mine runs semi-synthetic & gets changed every 6k mls. The only engine I ever ran on fully synthetic oil was my R33 Skyline - that's a given really with that performance & low mileage.
The Ducati BSB racing team actually run their new race engines in on semi because it allows initial 'wear' for bedding in. Then they change to fully synth for races. I've spoken to John Hacket (the guy who tunes the engines) and he recommended that procedure. He also said that semi-synthetic was absolutely fine for 9 out of 10 road applications.

To get back to your point Tom, the reason 5W-30 saves fuel is because it's a thinner oil - it reduces friction & warms up quicker in the winter. Not so great in the summer when you're making the engine work though . . . . .

I use 10w/40. I am not sure what the Comma stuffs like but I would stick with Nissan Oil. I personally do not think its that expensive at £14 for 5L I think

I've been in contact with Comma oils and they've replied:
"I have checked the listing for this vehicle and can confirm the correct engine oil to use is the Xtech 5w30.

I've been using Comma oils for yonks (no connection), and in the Almera since it came out of warranty.

I've got a fairly accurate profile of it's fuel consumption over a few years(brim, note mileage, run. Brim, note mileage-calculate etc) on 10W-40 and I'm willing to try the 5W-30 as a comparison.

Anyone else with a similar anorak interested, or should I just pull my hood up?

I was always told 5-30 fully synthetic by anyone who ever seemed to know anything but was told 10-40 semi by nissan.

Mighta been why the timing chain went so soon...oil too thick.

Back
Top Bottom